Newb - questions, camshaft sensor, oil dip stick tube.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Newb - questions, camshaft sensor, oil dip stick tube..

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
js522045

Newb - questions, camshaft sensor, oil dip stick tube..

Hi, I'm new to the forum, found it searching for help to my problems and decided to sign up. I just bought a 2003 liberty with the 2.4 5 speed and have been looking it over the past day to figure out what I need to do to fix it, and with that I've discovered some problems that I need some help with.

1. the dip stick tube is broken off, it appears that the previous owner grinded the bottom of the remaining tube to narrow it to let it sit in the hole. What I can't figure out is if there is still a piece of the original tube in the block or not as it is hard to get at or even see. I've attached a picture of it below. Originally I thought it was the bottom part of the tube and put an ezout on it but it didn't seem to loosen, so now I'm thinking now it's just the block. What do you guys think? I haven't had a chance to get a new tube yet to see if it fits.

2. I'm getting three error codes with my code reader, one points to 0340, the camshaft sensor. I'm trying to locate that and found a thread here that has a diagram of it but it doesn't match up with I see in person. The parts I see online don't seem to match either. I've pasted an image of what I think it is below, (the one with the 3 prongs). I tried loosening the screw on it and some coolant began to leak too, not sure if that is normal. This is on the passenger side by the way. Does this look like the right thing?

3. My third problem that I can really figure out is there is some driveline vibration, shuttering, it is in every gear but worse when in 4x4 and worse in lower gears. I can move the tranny left to right a bit at the trans mount rubber, (about 1/2" each way so 1 inch range) and the front driveshaft has a bit of play coming out of the transfer case, maybe a 1/4" total range (1/8 each side). Is this much play normal? Ujoints seem tight, although they do look rusty.

Thanks

closeup.jpg  
dip-stick-tube.jpg

cam-shaft-sensor.jpg

js522045 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
js522045

bump..
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Man, you cannucks have a road salt problem. That some nasty rust. Your bottom picture, the thing that is leaking coolant, that is a freeze plug heater. As nasty as it looks, replace it. Not sure what to say about the dipstick issue and the horrendous rust.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
js522045

anyone know where the camshaft sensor is on the 2.4? I thought it was on the passenger side near the motor mount and that it had 3 wires, the only thing with 3 wires that I could find was the plug heater as has streetglidok pointed out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.