New tire's - what a difference! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New tire's - what a difference!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-30-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
Red Hackle

New tire's - what a difference!

Just changed my tires to Pirelli Scorpion STR's and what a difference to the car. It drives beautifully with no noise and a much softer ride. Wish I had got rid of those terrible Goodyears when I purchased the car two years ago! If there is one thing I can recommend doing to the Liberty, it is to change the tires as soon as possible.

Red Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hackle
Just changed my tires to Pirelli Scorpion STR's and what a difference to the JEEP. It drives beautifully with no noise and a much softer ride. Wish I had got rid of those terrible Goodyears when I purchased the JEEP two years ago! If there is one thing I can recommend doing to the Liberty, it is to change the tires as soon as possible.
Fixed your post for ya. Yes, the stock tires are weak and upgrading changes the KJ into a much nicer Jeep. The Pirellis are a darn good choice from what I have heard.
99 TJ, Green - Son 2
HotRodOil.com
LOST JEEPS Club So-Cal Forum
JJsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
Steven73

Pirellis

I had Pirelli tires on a former car...they were hands down the best damn tire I've ever had. I just have to get some for my Liberty once i wear out these damn Goodyears!
Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
kous

How much did they cost, I've been looking at getting a set of Yokohamas for my Libby... their about $30 bucks cheaper than the silly stock ones and are a slightly more aggressive tred...

Karl
kous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
Red Hackle

Paid about 115 USD per tire and they look better than the Goodyears. depends what you mean by cool, they are not extra wide or big just the same size as the stock Goodyears, but make the car (sorry JEEP) a real pleasure to drive. I never knew that tires could make such a difference to the ride quality, and am still not really sure why there is such a difference - any experts out there that can tell us please?
Unread 06-05-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
roderunner

Which Goodyear tires did you have? My 04 Sport came with 215/75-16 Wrangler ST's. I agree, they seemed twichy, almost unstable. I found some new 235/70-16 Wrangler SR-A's (take-offs from a Renegade) and found they were a substantial improvement. They track much better and with the wider shoulder, offer more stability. If my measurement is correct, I also picked up about 5/8 inch of track from the Renegade rims. In any event, they sure work a lot better so far (with 4000 mi.). We'll see what they're like in another 20,000 miles....

What size Perelli's did you put on?
roderunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 03:08 AM   #7
Red Hackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roderunner
Which Goodyear tires did you have? My 04 Sport came with 215/75-16 Wrangler ST's. I agree, they seemed twichy, almost unstable. I found some new 235/70-16 Wrangler SR-A's (take-offs from a Renegade) and found they were a substantial improvement. They track much better and with the wider shoulder, offer more stability. If my measurement is correct, I also picked up about 5/8 inch of track from the Renegade rims. In any event, they sure work a lot better so far (with 4000 mi.). We'll see what they're like in another 20,000 miles....

What size Perelli's did you put on?
Sorry, but I can' tell you which Goodyears I had on as they are gone now. They were the standard fit on the Liberty when I got it in 2002.

The Pirellis I have now are a new tire with the following specs: Pirelli Scorpion STR R235/70 R16 105 HM+S

They are great!
Unread 06-05-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Hey, cut that crap out. Did you buy the tires for a car or a JEEP?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #9
Steven73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Hey, cut that crap out. Did you buy the tires for a car or a JEEP?

Hunter
what's with the sudden influx of comedians from Omaha, Nebraska? That makes 2 in one week.
Unread 06-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Someone has to have a sense of humor.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
Steven73

didn't Johnny Carson come from Nebraska?
Unread 06-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #12
phreakingeek

more on tires

anyone know what the largest tires you can put on a Liberty without having to put a lift kit in? I have an 02 Sport with the offroad package...and it came with the 16" alloy rims and the loud Badyear Wrangler ST traction reduction tires.

02 Liberty Sport
3.7L 4x4
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.