NEW TIRES! My input on my lift, tires and trim work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > NEW TIRES! My input on my lift, tires and trim work

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
nsmith74
2002 KJ Liberty 

NEW TIRES! My input on my lift, tires and trim work

I have a 2002 Limited Edition with roughly 135K on it. I replaced the struts, springs and shocks recently and bought a set of Definity Dakota MT 265/75/R16 tires...

I'll start with the lift, I went with the Rusty's Off Road 2.5 inch kit. I KNOW it gets bashed on here and I KNOW should have and could have saved for an Old Man or a Frankenlift, and would have loved to! BUT I'm a college guy, a college guy with a Jeep Liberty that is basically purple... I couldn't stand it so I bought the cheap lift that will last me a year (probably, hopefully, maybe...lol). I must say even though I know the quality and the height I would have gotten with one of the other brands would have been better for the money and thus far I am very happy with the Rusty's lift. I have every intention of buy the shocks, struts and springs (and even the clevis rings, and and anything else suggested) that TOMMUDD always lists in his lift kit answers...at the time I didn't have the money. Once I graduate in May and get a real job after that I'll be getting a Frankenlift...for now, this one is serving its purpose great.

On to the tires. I bought them from some guys that come up the VA to the auto auctions close to my university and sell tires to the people who buy the auction vehicles. A buddy bought a set for his truck and so I went today and picked mine up, as I said I got the 265/75/16's a set of 4 cost me $473 including taxes. I got them mounted and while I realized they were huge and not suggested I liked them and they were a good deal. I was more than willing to live with having to do some trimming and the decreased power and gas mileage...maybe I'm too dumb to understand and if someone explains how bad I messed up I'll get it and do something about it, but for now I LOVE the way the lift and tires look on my Jeep. I will say I had to do some major trimming of the plastic and pound the pinch welds down. They only rub at full lock now.

I guess the reason I'm posting is two fold, one to inform it is possible and so far I am happy with the 2.5 inch Rusty's lift and the 265/75/16's. And to ask for suggestions of how important it would be for me to re-gear? I've heard with that big of a tire regearing would help a lot but I'm still pretty clueless...my main issue as with everything is the price...if it costs a lot and it isn't going to cause serious damage to my Jeep then I'll probably keep it the way it is for now...as I said, I'm going to get a Frankenlift with all the right name brand good quality parts I need for the suspension and could re-gear if its that important in less than/just over a year...

Any feed back would be awesome...also can someone explain how to get a pic from my phone on to here so you guys can give me some feed back on my Jeep?

Unread 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'm sure you'll notice pretty quick that you'll have way less power, when on the highway it will not stay in overdrive and will keep shifting back and forth. This alone is bad for the tranny and will in fact make the engine work harder and run hotter. Gas mileage will drop quite a bit.
Now on to suspension get ready to cut even more as the lift settles since it will pretty quick
You would of been way better off with 245-75-16s but hindsight is .......well you know
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
nsmith74
2002 KJ Liberty 

I knew with that big of a tire I'd lose power and mpg, but sounds like re gearing will restore some of that? or I was going to explore other options to give back some of the power/gas milage...And I know the kit sucks and I know the springs are going to sag and I'll want to get new springs and shocks...but like I said if it'll last a year I'll get a real job and get a Frankenlift (and whatever else you suggest)...could you clue me in on re gearing, if it will help? what I'd have to buy, a price for it? thanks for your reply above.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If having a shop regear expect $1200-$1800,it's labor intensive since the whole front diff has to be removed to regear it(5-6 hours of labor alone).Gear prices have doubled/tripled in the last year also and only one company actually makes the KJ's D30A gears and that is Dans/Spicer.If you have not regeared a axle before it's not a task you want to start,alot can go wrong so a professonal is actually the best and cheapest route.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
nsmith74
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks tjkj very informative. Exactly what I was looking for and afraid of...so now I'm looking at probably within the next 12 to 24 months doing a frankenlift with clevis and pucks and bump stops, and doing the re gear (and by doing I just mean paying for the parts and paying a good offroad shop to install it all) so I'm guessing from parts and shipping I'm going to drop about $3000 but I'll have my lift and ride and I'll have my power and gas milage right???

Tjkj and Tom how long do you guys plan on keeping your KJ's? I've not done any major work to my engine or to anything really yet other than the lift and it's got 135K+ on it now...if I do the frankenlift and the re gear and it's at 140 or 150K then what would you also suggest to keep it going for another 50K or so?
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'll have mine for a while lots of things I still want to try on it
I have 163,000 on mine, runs great, uses no oil, nothing really wrong with it. I'm on my second lift, first one swapped out at 100,000 miles I expect this one to last about the same and by them will be ready to move up

So if your drivetrain is good and you keep the maintenance up on it I'd say you'll be good to go for quite a while
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

When you no longer can buy gas or I'm dead is when I'll park mine.Granted a new engine will be going in sometime here,hopefully starting in 12-18 months,and no not another 3.7 V6.
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
nsmith74
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
When you no longer can buy gas or I'm dead is when I'll park mine.Granted a new engine will be going in sometime here,hopefully starting in 12-18 months,and no not another 3.7 V6.
haha yeah I intend on keeping mine until it's no longer keepable... I just don't have the means at this time to make the necessary improvements yet. It's coming though

Tommudd what type of roof rack to do you have?
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmith74 View Post
haha yeah I intend on keeping mine until it's no longer keepable... I just don't have the means at this time to make the necessary improvements yet. It's coming though

Tommudd what type of roof rack to do you have?
He has the same one that I have,the Rock Lizard Gecko basket rack.

Unread 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yep
same roof rack as tjkj's
I have his old rock rails also Rock Lizard
and the same rear bumper as his, also from Rock Lizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.