New Struts making noise, Whats wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New Struts making noise, Whats wrong?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

New Struts making noise, Whats wrong?

Can someone please tell me why new struts would make noise when going over a speed bump or coming of a 3 inch curb?

The struts were installed last week. The noise is not a pop but more like a bongggg, its just does not sound right, like something is being forced to compress wrong when the front suspension is exercise?

Is that normal of new struts or were they installed wrong?

d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What brand/type were installed ?

The OME Frankenlift parts thrown on my 05 are making no evil sounds. Does not sound normal.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
cmontel
2014 WK 

When I replaced my front struts it made those same noises for about a day or two. I think mine was from the sway bar and the links seating. I moved the sway bar quite a bit when I replaced the bushings. Since then I have not heard any more noises.

Hope this helps
cmontel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
davegt
1983 CJ5 

I replaced my front struts with the Monroe quicks and had clucking in one strut I went back to the shop to find out what it was and the top nut on the strut(the nut that holds the strut together was not tighten enough.I contacted Monroe and they payed the labour for the fix .... Hope that helps...I guess any so called strut could have the same problem
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

The are Autozone brand...Duralast...

The shocks are fine and one strut is fine...

Taking it back to the mechanic to be checked tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
What brand/type were installed ?

The OME Frankenlift parts thrown on my 05 are making no evil sounds. Does not sound normal.
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

has someone dealt with this?

I really need to know what is causing this noise....

The mechanic that installed the new struts is not taking any responsibility in regards to reviewing his work to ensure he installed them correctly, the mechanic is basically saying tough, the arrows are in the right place so if you want to remove the strut and re-install it he wants me to pay him again. When I asked him why would the strut/spring now make a deep compression noise when going over speed bumps he does not have an answer.

The place I bought the struts from will only refund me the cost of the parts not the labor....

I need to know was causes a deep compression sound ONLY when going over speed bumps:

New struts defective
New struts installed incorrectly
worn spring (but it did not make noise prior to strut install)
worn top mount (but it did not make noise prior to strut install)

OR is the noise harmless and just live with it...
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
davegt
1983 CJ5 

Sounds like it is the shock...a compression sound almost like air could only be the shock (in my opinion and im not a mechanic) anything else you mention would be a clunking or well the sound of a spring...boing...lol . you might have replace the strut under warenty while you can....the labour suck i know.
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.