New radiator now no heat! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New radiator now no heat!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
granger

New radiator now no heat!

2004 3.7L. We just had the radiator replaced as well as the top and bottom radiator hoses. There is now no heat. The top hose is hot when the car is warmed up (temp gauge at 12 o'clock) but the bottom hose is cool. Is there a thermostat in the hose that is not opening up? Did they install the thermostat backwards?? My wife picked up the car. When I finally looked at it, it needed a lot of radiator fluid. I've put almost 2 full bottles in of pre diluted mix in since it came back from the "shop". Please help.

Thanks,

Nick

granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The system was not "burped" properly.On the upper radiator hose there is a plug you can remove(8mm allen) to help bleed the cooling system.
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

^Beat me to it.

No heat is caused by no coolant passing through your heater core. That means you've probably got air in your system and it needs to come out. Either run your Jeep with the Coolant Bottle Cap off for a while and see if the coolant level drops (air comes out). You could also take the Libby off road and rock her around real good, and that should knock the bubble out.

No offense the to above poster, but that "bleeder" bolt hasn't been worth a $*** from my experience.
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
granger

Bingo

You were spot on. A little burping and she's blowing hot - not much air at all really. I had previously run her with the coolant cap off thinking that would work.

The lower hose is still not hot at all though. I can rest my hand on it and feel only slightly warm. Perhaps it takes a while to open up? I thought it would have opened the thermostat up after idling for 15 min.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

Your upper hose should be the hot one... there should be a distinct difference between the top and bottom (bottom being colder). That's the point of the radiator and means your system is working properly. It'll be even colder if you have your heat on as the heater core is like a smaller radiator.
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
granger

Ah so. Guess I've had nothing but old tired radiators then in the past. Newer IS sometimes better. Appreciate your help.

Cheers.
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmatthews82 View Post
No offense the to above poster, but that "bleeder" bolt hasn't been worth a $*** from my experience.
Yeah it can or can not help.Mine is frozen but never had a issue bleeding my cooling system after the 4 radiators I've put in over the last 9 years.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.