New Owner, just some general questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
osufans

New Owner, just some general questions

Hey all, just bought an '04 Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7 auto. So far it's a nice ride. I'm hoping for a reliable daily driver, as well as something that will still go in the snow.

Anyways, just a couple of questions since this is new to me.

Is there anything I need to check/go over right away? I've checked the oil and transmission fluid, both look clean and new. Also, I have seen the many comments about the ball joints, how long was this an issue for? I need to email Chrysler customer service and get a build sheet, since I have no idea what gears I have, or limited slip diff or not.

Also, it didn't come with floor mats. Any suggestions where to get a decent set? It is the clay colored interior.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

If it still has OEM Goodyears...get rid of them NOW.
Have all the balljoints checked.
Trans fluid is due every 30k miles...period! Make sure it's a real flush and not just a pan drop.

Also, welcome! From the SW side of the state
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
osufans

Only Goodyear left on it is the spare. It appears it was a lease return, has about 58K miles on it. It's got a set of generic brand tires on it right now. They all appear new or near new...so I guess they'll work for now. No since dropping $$ where it isn't needed just yet.

So to get up to speed here, are these just a SLA coil-over IFS? I had a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 a few years back and had to change out the balljoints on it too. Similar setup, except it had torsion bars instead of coil-overs. Are these replaceable, or do you have to get upper arms? I would surely hope the lowers can be pressed out, if needed.

One other question too...I notice it seems a bit noisier than I would have expected. Do these generally have somewhat of a growl to the motor when driving?

Thanks!

post #4 of 14 Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 AM
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

I also have a 04 KJ.
The problem with the ball joints/recalls is that Chrysler continues to not install upper and lower BJ with a zerk fitting, (grease nipple) and especially in snow/salt areas they corrode or simply lose the grease, and metal on metal wears though, and then bad news if one breaks. So inspect them, ensure you had the recalls done, and if you are going to replace them, get MOOG ball joints with a zerk fitting. Then you can pump grease in there and stop the wear.
IFS : you can lift 2" easy with OME (old man emu) springs and struts etc, and consider new A-arm ( Al's A-ArmsJeepinbyAl.com - Product Catalog - Als A-arms, Jeep Liberty
If you want not to lift just to replace (shocks /Struts) that can be done as well, but most springs sag on the Kj's by 35K miles and might as well do springs and strut/shocks while you are there anyways, taking it apart.
Floor mats I use WeatherTech digital fit liners ! PS I also posted back on the other forum for you. Best of Luck with your new kJ, and hope this helps a bit..lots to learn for all of us...
post #5 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
osufans

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing that the "other" forum is a bit more active? Guess I'll see you over there!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osufans View Post
Only Goodyear left on it is the spare. It appears it was a lease return, has about 58K miles on it. It's got a set of generic brand tires on it right now. They all appear new or near new...so I guess they'll work for now. No since dropping $$ where it isn't needed just yet.

So to get up to speed here, are these just a SLA coil-over IFS? I had a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 a few years back and had to change out the balljoints on it too. Similar setup, except it had torsion bars instead of coil-overs. Are these replaceable, or do you have to get upper arms? I would surely hope the lowers can be pressed out, if needed.

One other question too...I notice it seems a bit noisier than I would have expected. Do these generally have somewhat of a growl to the motor when driving?

Thanks!
The growl when driving is typically a front hub bearing. replaced the ones on the '02 at about 110k miles, which isn't bad considering what the poor thing has been through.

It's a similar front suspension to the 98+ Ranger and '95-01 Explorer 4x4 , yes, and just like on the Ranger/Exploder the upper balljoints ARE the entire control arm, but the lowers are pressed into the knuckle and the bolt goes through the Lower control arm, as opposed to the way the Ranger/Exploder's are set up (had a '98 Exploder and '01, pretty well versed in those too:P)

Overall, very happy with the KJ. Have had it since Oct '05, and put 93,000 miles on it. So far replaced:
Both upper balljoints
Lowers under recall...still no play, so when they develop play again will go Moog
Radiator 3x (because going cheap parts...since a good radiator went in there, it has been trouble free)
U joints in the rear driveshaft
Had the rear CV joint replaced on the front driveshaft with a U joint
Shocks and springs...getting ready for new shocks again, and going to replace the OME 927 front springs with CRD OME springs

Basically, haven't done much to it that isn't par for the course with other cars, and it hasn't left its hapless owner stranded, either

As far as other forums, LOST and jeepkj.com have more traffic through them. OhioKJs.com was only started a bit more than a month ago, and all of us Ohio people know each other.

Where in Ohio are you anyway?

*EDIT*
Misread the growl

Yeah, the 3.7 has a nice little snarl to it. '02s seem to have a bit louder exhaust than other years (a local '04 owner said "HEY, what kinda muffler did you put on there?)
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
osufans

I'm about 20 mins NE of columbus. how about you?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

About 20 minutes NE of Cincinnati.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2009, 01:55 PM
MyJeepRollsCoal

Hey T-bird, Have you ever herd of a small town called Wilmington?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
osufans

I have, been there once actually. I worked for Verizon Wireless and installed some computer equipment in their store out there a while ago. Talk about a one horse town...lol. If I remember, the biggest thing in that town was the feed mill...lol

Seemed like a nice farm town from what I saw of it.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd change the fluids in the diffs as well as the transfer case, unless you know for sure it was done recently (like within 30k).

You probably don't have a limited slip being a Sport model, as it was an option, and usually showed up on the Limited model. However you do need a special additive, plus I'd even test to make sure it's working. The factory "Trac-lok" has about a 50k range on it I've been told.

You can test to see if you have Trac-lok or not by jacking up both back wheels and turn just one. If the other back wheel turns in the opposite direction then it is a open diff or the Trac-lok is not working. If the wheel turns in the same direction then there is some form of locking in the diff. If you get someone to try and hold the wheel while you try and turn the other it will give some indication on how well the Trac-lok is working.

Enjoy your KJ!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists.” -- Don Colacho

post #12 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 AM
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

A few years back when the Cincinnati Bengals had training camp there I drove up from Cincy one day to check out there practice. The only thing I remember about the place is I was sitting at a red light and somebody going thru the intersection was driving around town with a gas mask on. I always wondered what that was all about. Congrats on your purchase. I think the longer you own it the more your going to like it.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 AM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

P.S. For floor mats, I really like the Catch-All Xtreme. I have them in both of my Jeeps. They're easy to remove and scrub clean when needed, and hold dirt, mud and even water (while driving) great.

See this page, fourth option and they are in tan, black or gray. The rear seat catch all mats is just one piece that connects over the hump in the center.
Catch-All Floor Mats by Nifty - Liberty

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists.” -- Don Colacho

post #14 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJeepRollsCoal View Post
Hey T-bird, Have you ever herd of a small town called Wilmington?
Nope, but you're not too far from Mason it looks like.
You should come out and hang out with us sometime when we're working on some stupid XJ because the KJs never need to be fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by osufans View Post
I have, been there once actually. I worked for Verizon Wireless and installed some computer equipment in their store out there a while ago. Talk about a one horse town...lol. If I remember, the biggest thing in that town was the feed mill...lol

Seemed like a nice farm town from what I saw of it.
Please, it takes at least THREE horses to run that feed mill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlancer View Post
A few years back when the Cincinnati Bengals had training camp there I drove up from Cincy one day to check out there practice. The only thing I remember about the place is I was sitting at a red light and somebody going thru the intersection was driving around town with a gas mask on. I always wondered what that was all about. Congrats on your purchase. I think the longer you own it the more your going to like it.
This makes ThunderbirdJunkie wonder when they're going to have a training camp for the COACHES...
Just sayin'

All over the place usually, so if you see this little blue terd, make yourself known!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.