New motor for 2002 KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New motor for 2002 KJ

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
jstick911

New motor for 2002 KJ

Have a bad 3.7 and know they have a history of going bad and was wondering if I can swap a 4.0?

I've looked here and some guys are going to the 04 3.7 and changing the PCM due to a reluctor difference but I really would rather put the old straight 6 in it because I think they have the same transmissions as the Cherokee.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jason

jstick911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Way too much work to install an antiquated motor
Unread 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Way too much work. Lot of guys dont even recommend going from the 2.5L gas four cylinder to the 4.0 in the wranglers even. The length of the engine alone would prevent it, or make it almost impossible. Might as well consider a v8 swap, if you want to go thru that much trouble.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
jstick911

Had no idea. Thanks for the input.

Guess my only option is to put the same 3.7 back in. I'm having a little trouble finding one, you guys got a tip somewhere to go to look to find one?
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

You looking cheap and used, or good and reman? Mopar, and Jasper are two places I'd look, and at least one of them has one available.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
jstick911

I haven't checked mopar yet but I know Jasper is 3200 which is after the core change and for 200 more I can get one straight from the Chrysler dealership. Right now I think 2500 is a good price to pay for remanufactured or rebuilt motor after I put in the core charge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.