post #1 of Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Boatman2
1998 ZJ 

New member with an old problem - blend door actuator...

I have an 02 Liberty that now has suffered from the three seemingly chronic Liberty problems - (1) heater core leaked which I replaced last fall, (2) rear driver window regulator failed which I machined an improved replacement for this winter, and (3) now the blend door actuator has failed. Car had the common symptoms - vent controls work but no heat from any vents.

I found a way to remove the regulator without removing the dash. It involved using a dremel to remove some of the plastic inner dash bracketry (which didn't seem to weaken the dash.)

When I removed the actuator I found that the blend doors seem to be OK, I can manually move the door shaft from lock to lock and get hot and cold air. However, when I use the heat control to control the actuator something very weird happens. The actuator responds correctly to small heat knob inputs in both directions (hot and cold), but if you put the heat knob full hot or full cold, the actuator keeps turning in either direction. It never hits a maximum.

Is this a problem with the actuator or the heat control panel? I tend to think it's the actuator but wanted to get any advice you all may have.

Thanks...Steve.

post #2 of Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Boatman2
1998 ZJ 

Any ideas ???

Any idea whether the controller or actuator is faulty???

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks...Steve.