New (to me) 03 Renegade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New (to me) 03 Renegade

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Krawlersaur

New (to me) 03 Renegade

Hey everyone. Just got another edition to our Jeep family. Sitting beside our '10 JKUR is now a 03 Renegade. I've read thru several forum posts trying to find information on a few topics. So I'm left with few questions. I've only worked on SFA's, so the IFS is a whole new game to me. Need a few pointers.

First off, http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_50X_PG.htm
This seems to be a basic lift. Which is want we want. But, I'm a little clueless as to what is really needed. Is this the only thing we need, since it is just a small lift? Or is there something else we should have? This wont be going on anything crazy, thats what the Rubi is for. This is more of a trail/camping toy.

Next up, http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
Wheels! 15" is what we want. But by looking at Q-tech, it seems that Duratracs come in different sizes/width specific to wheel size, so size is still in the air. I'll look into that later. The main question is, is this enough BS to run with the lift above? Also the width, what is recommended? 7 or 8" Does the extra inch come from the outer lip pushed out or is the inner lip farther in? I suppose if its out, then it shouldnt matter too much. For tires, I'm pretty sold on Duratracs. I have experience with them, and love them. But for size, with this lift, is 31x10.5 asking too much? If so, I have no qualms running a little smaller.

After a little reading, I came across the whole sag issue. I checked out ours, and yea, its sagging. My CV's are angled up TO the tires, in a fashion that just seems like its not how it was from the factory. Which is good, since the 1.5" lift will give a little more than that. I'll post some pics up when I get home. I'm pretty sure there's something I forgot anyways. Thanks in advance for any info!
-Aaron

Krawlersaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Krawlersaur

Also forgot to mention, Im not necessarily buying from Q-tech, links are just there for referrence. If I can get the stuff for a better price elsewhere, then.. why not!
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Krawlersaur

Another edit. Just seen on a recent thread, that 15s might not clear. Thats fine, I'm more worried about the BS and the width with tire sizes. Sorry for so many posts. Thanks again in advance.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Krawlersaur

Here she is. not great pics, but they work.

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

That kit you referenced is a BDS, problem is you have to buy new front shocks and also their rear shocks are pretty much junk.
So by the time you buy their kit and shocks you are into as much as a full OME or Ironman lift
If you don't want much lift go with the OME full spring lift, 927 front springs/948 rear springs with their shocks and 132L rear shocks this will give you about 2.25-2.5 inches of true lift. Many of them like OME/ Ironman / BDS advertise 1.5 inches but you actually get more than that
Wheels aftermarket steel will clear in 15 inch size but not aluminum etc
stay with 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing when lifted
tires 245-75-16s work great , getting into 31/32s you're going to be loosing power and mileage unless regearing is in your near future

well there is a start I think

oh Duratracs are good overall tires, 62,000 on my 265-75-16s now
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Krawlersaur

Tom, thanks for the reply and info. I might have messed up the lift link I posted. The one I am planning on getting is the OME 1.5". It has the front/rear coils and rear shocks, and front struts. Most sites have them at about 750ish.
My only concern is that's all it came with (f/r coils shocks/struts) I know some other lifts have additional parts, but I'm just guessing its because their lift is a tad bigger. Would you happen to know by chance if the OME MD springs correct the front rake, or if I should get MD rear/HD front springs?
I was actually thinking last night I might go 16" aluminum wheels, if they are at least a few pounds lighter than 15" steels. I'll look it up later. But main thing is 7" and at least 4" BS. Thanks again for the help man!
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

As I mentioned all of the full spring kits give you more than 1.5 inches of lift unless you go with the lower rated springs
If you are sure you only want a small amount of lift ( over new stock)
I'd go with 926s in front/ 948s in the rear
Of course depending on how much sag you already have you may end up 2-3 inches higher than you are now
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Krawlersaur

Thats fine if I get a little more than 1.5". I just didnt want to go 3+ over stock. Tom, thanks again. You've been a big help, not only on this thread, but other posts I've seen of yours.
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlersaur View Post
Hey everyone. Just got another edition to our Jeep family. Sitting beside our '10 JKUR is now a 03 Renegade. I've read thru several forum posts trying to find information on a few topics. So I'm left with few questions. I've only worked on SFA's, so the IFS is a whole new game to me. Need a few pointers.

First off, http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_50X_PG.htm
This seems to be a basic lift. Which is want we want. But, I'm a little clueless as to what is really needed. Is this the only thing we need, since it is just a small lift? Or is there something else we should have? This wont be going on anything crazy, thats what the Rubi is for. This is more of a trail/camping toy.

Next up, http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
Wheels! 15" is what we want. But by looking at Q-tech, it seems that Duratracs come in different sizes/width specific to wheel size, so size is still in the air. I'll look into that later. The main question is, is this enough BS to run with the lift above? Also the width, what is recommended? 7 or 8" Does the extra inch come from the outer lip pushed out or is the inner lip farther in? I suppose if its out, then it shouldnt matter too much. For tires, I'm pretty sold on Duratracs. I have experience with them, and love them. But for size, with this lift, is 31x10.5 asking too much? If so, I have no qualms running a little smaller.

After a little reading, I came across the whole sag issue. I checked out ours, and yea, its sagging. My CV's are angled up TO the tires, in a fashion that just seems like its not how it was from the factory. Which is good, since the 1.5" lift will give a little more than that. I'll post some pics up when I get home. I'm pretty sure there's something I forgot anyways. Thanks in advance for any info!
-Aaron
Welcome to the "other Jeep" world!

I also have an '03 and my CV's were angled up also when I first got it:

Using a similar kit to the one you linked to (Bilstein shocks instead of OME) plus a couple of extras I gained about 3 3/4" over where my sagged/bagged suspension was. It now looks like this:

With just the springs (if you choose the Mediums at minimum in front) you should be able to get about 3" of lift over where you are now.

What you won't be able to do is put 31" tires on there without a lot of rubbing - and it will be a dog unless you regear to 4.10's. You won't want to run those tires without a regear as you'll kill gas mileage and stress and heat the tranny too much. I know it doesn't seem like having 31's would do that but trust us - it's a real problem. I'm running 255/70-16's (about 30.5") and I'm regearing as I've just lost too much "oomph" (especially when towing my boat) and thanks to the lift and bigger shoes the gas mileage has gone to crap.

You'll love the KJ as a comfortable and VERY capable Jeep. A group of us just went to Windrock OHV Park in Tennessee and surprised a LOT of people - including Wrangler owners.

Keep asking questions and we'll point you in the right direction.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the Liberty world. I love ours and drive it whenever I can.

A bit of a post high jack... Our 2002 liberty has 169K miles on it. It drives fine but there is some noise from the back suspension. The only suspension work done was the ball joint recall. It was an early 2002 so it was an inch taller than the later ones. What's the smartest suspsension work for me to do? I know I need new springs and shocks. Would it make sense for me to pick up a 'lift kit' that includes springs/shocks that also includes the other worn out components? Does something like this even exist?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
Welcome to the Liberty world. I love ours and drive it whenever I can.

A bit of a post high jack... Our 2002 liberty has 169K miles on it. It drives fine but there is some noise from the back suspension. The only suspension work done was the ball joint recall. It was an early 2002 so it was an inch taller than the later ones. What's the smartest suspsension work for me to do? I know I need new springs and shocks. Would it make sense for me to pick up a 'lift kit' that includes springs/shocks that also includes the other worn out components? Does something like this even exist?
Lift kits include new springs and shocks that is all everything else would have to be sourced through either places like jeepinbyal or dealers/auto parts stores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.