JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   New to this, Lift Advice? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/new-lift-advice-1534666/)

libertygirl02 06-10-2013 12:53 PM

New to this, Lift Advice?

Hey I have a 2002 Liberty Limited, and I've been thinking about lifting it and possibly getting some new tires. I'm a beginner here, so I need some help! I've read a lot of different things online, but I'm still not sure about what I want to do. Right now, everything is stock, and I'm thinking of doing a 2-3" lift. What are my best options? I'm starting fresh and looking to do it right the first time, any advice?

tommudd 06-10-2013 02:14 PM

2-3 inch lift
either the OME full lift kit or the Ironman will give you that with a couple of extras
With just the kit you'll get a little over 2 inches of lift and no real need for after market UCAs and such
Check JeepinByAl for lift kits from 675 on up
Make sure you get the 132L rear shocks if going OME
Both are great lifts, have had both on my personal KJ and also have installed a bunch of the OME lifts

libertygirl02 06-10-2013 02:48 PM

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely take a look at those!

mikey1273 06-10-2013 03:09 PM

I have the OME lift with Jeepin by al UCA On my 2006 CRD Limited. what Tom said is good advice. I wanted a lift so bad but I saved up and waited until I could get it all. so worth it. The ride is great. I would say it is pleasantly firm and handles better than stock.

I have pics of mine posted on here somewhere too you can look at. just search all my posts, my Jeep is green

gemiller 06-10-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 15543198)
2-3 inch lift
either the OME full lift kit or the Ironman will give you that with a couple of extras
With just the kit you'll get a little over 2 inches of lift and no real need for after market UCAs and such
Check JeepinByAl for lift kits from 675 on up
Make sure you get the 132L rear shocks if going OME
Both are great lifts, have had both on my personal KJ and also have installed a bunch of the OME lifts

jeepinbyal advertises the ome as only 1.5", yet you have it listed on here as 2-3? Is it similar to the WK that OME advertises 2" and gets 3.5"ish? Just curious because my wife might be getting a CRD KJ in the future if I can find one. I figured your the right person to ask since your name is on the 3.5" I was also looking at ;)

95BadBoy 06-10-2013 06:29 PM

gemiller

Many manufacturers state 1.5" of lift with an OME lift on a KJ. Pretty normal. You will see more than that. The OME setup with the CRD rated springs and Al's A arms work really well. The ride is great, and the handling is way better than stock.

Night and day difference. Same goes for the 3.7 gasser with OME.

Install How to on a CRD

Libertygirl02

Many of the installation things in that "How To" apply to the gas version also - and will give you an ideas on installing a lift yourself or with a little help.

tommudd 06-10-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemiller (Post 15543678)
jeepinbyal advertises the ome as only 1.5", yet you have it listed on here as 2-3? Is it similar to the WK that OME advertises 2" and gets 3.5"ish? Just curious because my wife might be getting a CRD KJ in the future if I can find one. I figured your the right person to ask since your name is on the 3.5" I was also looking at ;)

They list them as 1.5 due to insurance regulation in the land down under. Ironman which is made in Aus. as well is the same way

grenade187 06-10-2013 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just lifted my 02 Limited in April. I went with JeepinbyAl's 2.5" silver kit - comes with front adjustable bilstein coilovers, rear bilstein shocks and HD springs, JBA upper control arms and all the hardware. It's a bit pricy at about $2200, but my ride is soo smooth, both on and off road. Rides and handles better than new.

Only problem I had was the front tires were slightly rubbing the new UCAs, so I have to run 1/4" wheel spacers..

Here's what it looked like when I was done. I also painted my lower control arms while I had them out to change the bushings - highly recommend it, looks great.

tommudd 06-10-2013 08:28 PM

Spacers are scary looking
Did you install longer studs or ???

grenade187 06-10-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 15544848)
Spacers are scary looking
Did you install longer studs or ???

I know, I hate the idea of running spacers..

I did install longer studs - got brand new front hubs, put in 3/8" longer studs (I had to drill the flanges out for a larger sized knurl, as they don't make longer 1/2"-20 studs with the same knurl) and put them in. Been keeping a close eye on my lugs since I started running them, haven't had any problems in over 4000 miles.. eventually planning on getting wheels with less backspacing, but haven't been able to find a combination of wheel/tire that will clear the UCAs without rubbing the wheel well..

tommudd 06-10-2013 08:42 PM

I've never had any issues with rub and have ran 245-75s/255-70s/265-70s/265-75s etc
running Rubicon MOAB wheels 5 inches of back spacing etc
recent pic
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps206423e6.jpg

grenade187 06-10-2013 08:48 PM

Yeah, it's weird, I'm currently running 265-70-R16s. I talked to the guys at JBA and they said it doesn't happen often but it does happen on certain models.. maybe before they lowered the Libertys 3/4". Mine's an early '02, only thing I can think of..

tommudd 06-10-2013 08:50 PM

I had one but we found out the issue on it
It had been curbed real hard one time
took a little bit but we got it running straight again :)

TwoBobsKJ 06-11-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenade187 (Post 15544811)
I just lifted my 02 Limited in April. I went with JeepinbyAl's 2.5" silver kit - comes with front adjustable bilstein coilovers, rear bilstein shocks and HD springs, JBA upper control arms and all the hardware. It's a bit pricy at about $2200, but my ride is soo smooth, both on and off road. Rides and handles better than new.

Only problem I had was the front tires were slightly rubbing the new UCAs, so I have to run 1/4" wheel spacers..

Here's what it looked like when I was done. I also painted my lower control arms while I had them out to change the bushings - highly recommend it, looks great.

I like the painted LCA's -reminds me of tjkj2002's KJ before he went SFA. He painted his LCA's orange to match the body color :2thumbsup:

Bob

tommudd 06-11-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ (Post 15546897)
I like the painted LCA's -reminds me of tjkj2002's KJ before he went SFA. He painted his LCA's orange to match the body color :2thumbsup:

Bob

Mines painted body color as well , but when you've got a black KJ its hard to tell that they're painted :rofl::laugh::rofl:

The time now is 06:08 AM.