New liberty owner question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New liberty owner question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
wingdwolf56
2003 KJ Liberty 

New liberty owner question

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 2003 Liberty Limited. Like so many preowned vehicles, it didn't come with an owners manual. My question is about 4 wheel drive, part time and full time. It is my understanding that part time locks the differentials and is for short time use in bad traction situations. Full time is for use in changing conditions such as our winter road conditions in northeast Ohio.
Is my understanding of my Liberty's 4 wheel drive correct?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

wingdwolf56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
USPLiberty

For the most part yes, "Part time" locks the differential inside the transfer case = snow/offroad use. Fulltime lets the transfer case front and rear differential turn at different rates = patchy, wet/slippery + dry pavement.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

First which transfer case do you have,
that makes a lot of difference in how and when you use 4 wheel drive
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I always get confused in our Liberty. Is 'part time' that is is working 'part of the time' or only use it part of the time. Anyways, your assesment is correct. Full time means you can use it full time. Part time means for low traction situations only. The other way I remember is Full time is marked green, part time is marked red.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
I always get confused in our Liberty. Is 'part time' that is is working 'part of the time' or only use it part of the time. Anyways, your assesment is correct. Full time means you can use it full time. Part time means for low traction situations only. The other way I remember is Full time is marked green, part time is marked red.
Part time is marked yellow as is 4low.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

The Liberty is available with either a part-time Command-Trac or full-time Selec-Trac transfer case.
The Command-Trac transfer case has four positions: 2-HI, 4-HI, Neutral, and 4-LO. The lever is placed in 2WD HI for regular driving. This allows the two rear tires to receive power.
The second position, 4WD HI, is used for driving on slippery or loose surfaces only ( not on dry roads or just wet roads. This position locks both the front and rear drive shafts together allowing the vehicle to maintain drive as long as at least one axle has traction.
The third position, Neutral, disengages both drive shafts from the transfer case allowing the car to roll freely; this is used for towing behind another vehicle, for example.
The last position, 4WD LO is used for situations requiring higher torque or slow speed when traversing rough terrain. A common misconception is that 4WD LO provides more traction. It only changes the gear ratio and does not add any more friction between the tires and the driving surface. This position, like 4WD HI locks both the front and rear drive shafts together, and by using a lower gear ratio, allows for 2.72 times more torque (however, the speed is limited to around 25 MPH max). It should be noted that turning while in 4WD HI or LO on dry pavement is hazardous to vehicle components, through driveline binding and wheel-hop.

The Selec-Trac transfer case has five positions: 2-HI, 4-HI Part-Time, 4-HI Full-Time, Neutral, and 4-LO. The transfer case is different from the Command-Trac transfer only in the extra 4WD HI Full-Time position.
The 4WD HI Full-Time position adds the same traction benefits that the part-time 4WD setting offers, but features an open differential between the front and rear axles to allow the two axles to spin at independent speeds and eliminate drive line binding and wheel-hop. The down side of 4WD Hi Full-Time is that, due to the open differential between front and rear drive lines, at times the drive train will only deliver power to the front or the rear e.g. when the front of the vehicle has reached a high traction surface such as dry pavement and the rear is in sand, the rear tires will spin with 100% of engine power, the front receiving no traction. Under equal traction conditions (front-rear) this position gives the rear wheels 52% of the engine's power and the front wheels 48% of the engine's power. The division of power and open center differential allows the Selec-Trac transfer case to be operated at all times in an "All Wheel Drive" mode with no adverse effects.
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
wingdwolf56
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for he answers! I have the Select-Trac.
wingdwolf56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to look in your glove box, there is a skinny slot above the main glove box - that the owners manual resides in.

Worth a look anyhow.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

^ what he said. Most people don't know it's there - I 'found' the manuals for both the BIL and CIL (cousin-in-law) just by pulling them out of their slots
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
The Liberty is available with either a part-time Command-Trac or full-time Selec-Trac transfer case.
The Command-Trac transfer case has four positions: 2-HI, 4-HI, Neutral, and 4-LO. The lever is placed in 2WD HI for regular driving. This allows the two rear tires to receive power.
The second position, 4WD HI, is used for driving on slippery or loose surfaces only ( not on dry roads or just wet roads. This position locks both the front and rear drive shafts together allowing the vehicle to maintain drive as long as at least one axle has traction.
The third position, Neutral, disengages both drive shafts from the transfer case allowing the car to roll freely; this is used for towing behind another vehicle, for example.
The last position, 4WD LO is used for situations requiring higher torque or slow speed when traversing rough terrain. A common misconception is that 4WD LO provides more traction. It only changes the gear ratio and does not add any more friction between the tires and the driving surface. This position, like 4WD HI locks both the front and rear drive shafts together, and by using a lower gear ratio, allows for 2.72 times more torque (however, the speed is limited to around 25 MPH max). It should be noted that turning while in 4WD HI or LO on dry pavement is hazardous to vehicle components, through driveline binding and wheel-hop.

The Selec-Trac transfer case has five positions: 2-HI, 4-HI Part-Time, 4-HI Full-Time, Neutral, and 4-LO. The transfer case is different from the Command-Trac transfer only in the extra 4WD HI Full-Time position.
The 4WD HI Full-Time position adds the same traction benefits that the part-time 4WD setting offers, but features an open differential between the front and rear axles to allow the two axles to spin at independent speeds and eliminate drive line binding and wheel-hop. The down side of 4WD Hi Full-Time is that, due to the open differential between front and rear drive lines, at times the drive train will only deliver power to the front or the rear e.g. when the front of the vehicle has reached a high traction surface such as dry pavement and the rear is in sand, the rear tires will spin with 100% of engine power, the front receiving no traction. Under equal traction conditions (front-rear) this position gives the rear wheels 52% of the engine's power and the front wheels 48% of the engine's power. The division of power and open center differential allows the Selec-Trac transfer case to be operated at all times in an "All Wheel Drive" mode with no adverse effects.
I have a 2002 ltd 3.7 how do i determine if I have the CT of ST TC?
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
I have a 2002 ltd 3.7 how do i determine if I have the CT of ST TC?
Ah,..... well one quick way
*The Command-Trac transfer case has four positions: 2-HI, 4-HI, Neutral, and 4-LO.

The* Selec-Trac transfer case has five positions*: 2-HI, 4-HI Part-Time, 4-HI Full-Time, Neutral, and 4-LO.
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hey wingdwolf56 - I'm not far from you in Hartville. I also have an '03 and have the SelecTrac t-case and like you said it comes in handy in the varying road conditions we get around here.

Welcome to the board!

P.S. Listen to what Leann and 95BadBoy said about the owner's manual. Bet you a day-old donut it's right there in the slot above the glove box.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

"Part time" is not necessarily for "short time" use. If you drive off road through mud and gravel for 12 hours straight, you would use 4-Low the entire time. :-)
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
"Part time" is not necessarily for "short time" use. If you drive off road through mud and gravel for 12 hours straight, you would use 4-Low the entire time. :-)
In almost 11 years I have never used 4hi(part time) in my KJ,no full time option either.When I go offroad,no matter how long,I'm always in 4low.
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

In almost 11 years I have never used 4hi(part time) in my KJ,no full time option either.When I go offroad,no matter how long,I'm always in 4low.
Whoops read it all wrong. My bad! ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.