New to the Liberty and I have some questions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New to the Liberty and I have some questions!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
casey95
2005 KJ Liberty 

New to the Liberty and I have some questions!

Hey everyone! I'm new to Jeep Forum and the Liberty world and was hoping some of y'all could help me out a little bit.

I recently made the move from a WJ to an 05 Liberty sport with 95k miles on it (it wasn't by choice, but I am definitely glad I did it now). To get to the point of my post, I want to lift it. I had thought I decided on the 3" Rough Country lift, but after doing some reading on here I'm not too sure if that's the right choice... I only plan on doing some light offroading, not even too frequently, since it is my daily driver so the lift is mainly just for looks. Would the Rough Country lift work for me if I had my springs and shocks replaced, or would it still all just be a waste of money? I was planning on running 265/70/16 DuraTracs.

If it wont help or if it still wont be worth the money, does anyone have any other options for me? Please keep in mind that I'm a college student and I would rather not spend a boat load of money on my lift, but whatever I do, I want to do it right.

By the way, right before I bought it, it was sent to a 4x4 shop to have some things in the rear end suspension replaced... The mechanic at the dealer (who said he's a Jeep guy) said it was a common problem for the Liberty, but since I didn't have to pay for the repairs I'm not too sure what was replaced. Are there any other common rear end suspension problems with the Liberty, or is there a good possibility that my springs and/or shocks were replaced?

Thank y'all for your help! And I'm sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about or if my questions seem kind of stupid, I'm just an 18 year old girl trying my best to learn about this stuff!

casey95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Casey
Welcome to wild and wonderful life of owning a oddball KJ
What they may have replaced was the upper or lower control arms, they do wear out. Those are about the only things back there to replace.
NOW your lift idea.................not good and I will try to explain why. The Libertys have weak springs from the get go. They sag pretty bad after 50-80,000 miles. I've had them here with 75,000 miles and they would be sitting 1.5 inches lower than new.
So....if you were to combine those weak springs ( that are already sagged some ) along with any spacer type lift you may only get an inch of lift, plus a bad ride. Most everyone who does a spacer style lift ends up removing it for a full spring in a few short months.
Even if just driving to the mall daily a full spring lift will actually give you more lift, a better ride, better handling and will last 80-100,000 miles easy.
So really to do it right a full spring lift which has all new shocks and springs is the best way to go. I know being in college sucks with trying to juggle funds, but save up a little each month and you'll soon have enough $$$$ to do it right. Looks like a Rough Country is about 300 bucks, you're almost half way there . Look at the Ironman kit from jeepinbyal . Its a good kit, rides really well ( have tested it myself) and gives you about 2.25 inches of lift, which you can add a couple of cheap tricks to for even more
Enjoy your KJ
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

casey95

First Post - Welcome to JF -

As Tom has already mentioned, you really don't want a spacer type lift of any brand on your KJ.
OME (Old Man Emu) has been a great lift for many Libby owners. Available from several venders with choices of how heavy you want /or need the springs to be. Jeepin by Al has them too, as well as other ones they have.

Save up a little for a real lift, you will be so glad you did.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
casey95
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks so much y'all! both of you were extremely helpful!! I'm definitely going to try to save up more for the OME or Ironman. With working two jobs, hopefully by mid summer I'll have the money for my lift and tires... I am so excited just thinking about it!
casey95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.