New to the Liberty. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New to the Liberty.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

New to the Liberty.

Hey all. I just wanted to drop by and say "Hi". I just picked up an '02 Liberty Sport today. I hang out over at the Wrangler YJ forum, but since I used my '88 YJ as the trade in, I'll be over on this side of the fence browsing through all of the wonderful info that there is for the KJ. It's nothing special, but I will have pics coming soon.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Enjoy the KJ side of the forum.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

If your not already a member jeepkj.com, and lostjeeps.com has a lot of info to.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
Enjoy the KJ side of the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
If your not already a member jeepkj.com, and lostjeeps.com has a lot of info to.
Thanks guys! I will research and check out all that I can. This is one little Jeep that I am unfamiliar with, so I will use the knowledge graciously.

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Hi and welcome. Do you have the 3.7? If you do, keep an eye on the oil.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
Hi and welcome. Do you have the 3.7? If you do, keep an eye on the oil.
Yes it has. Thanks for the tip! I am becoming familiar with my new ride, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

Unread 11-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Yes it has. Thanks for the tip! I am becoming familiar with my new ride, so any tips are greatly appreciated.
No problem. They seem to use up oil but no one knows where it goes.

My wife went too long between oil changes and I was not checking the oil. It got too low and spun a bearing. But they seem to consume oil faster than you would think so check it every couple of weeks, it is cheap cheap cheap insurance.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
No problem. They seem to use up oil but no one knows where it goes.

My wife went too long between oil changes and I was not checking the oil. It got too low and spun a bearing. But they seem to consume oil faster than you would think so check it every couple of weeks, it is cheap cheap cheap insurance.
I have adopted the practice of checking all of my fluids when I'm at the gas pump.

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons

I have adopted the practice of checking all of my fluids when I'm at the gas pump.
I don't lose any oil at all. I check every once and awhile and it's at the same mark every time. Are you burning oil or something?
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I was going to say I change my oil every 3000-3500 and never goes down and thats with 193,000 miles. They don't normally use oil unless there is a problem internally
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I haven't had it long enough to know, but it's just a habit that I have gotten in to because of past vehicles that have used up to a quart of oil every fill up, such as my last jeep the basket case YJ. It doesn't hurt to pull a dipstick when at the gas station, I consider it preventative maintenance, or cheap insurance.

Unread 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes never hurts for sure, I check mine at least every 3-4 days even though I know it won't need any, just like everything else, tire pressure once a week at least, coolant etc
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I just performed a thorough inspection of the Liberty. I now know the condition of the engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, body and interior, as well as all lubricants. I'm fortunate that the P.O. had taken good care of it, despite the few scratches and a dent suffered from off roading. While under there I discovered how the lift was achieved, it has a 2" coil spring spacer lift and shocks. It also has a new muffler that sounds good. Plus I had discovered that the spare will need air.

Unread 11-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Upon further inspection, I had discovered that the radiator has a crack in the upper left mount, Which I have read that this is prevalent in the 2002-2007 Liberty. Also the #2 Injector has fuel seepage coming out from the top of the Injector. There are a few other little issues, but these two are what I'm most concerned about. I'll see if the dealership is willing to fix these for me. I can fix these, but I would rather have them look at these first.

Unread 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Welcome
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.