new to KJ's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > new to KJ's

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

new to KJ's

i love the looks of an trail-ready KJ and i must have one. i'm going to look at a 2003 KJ 4x4 166k miles.. anything i need to look at specifically when i go to look at it? common problems? much thanks

Unread 11-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Check the boot at the t-case end of the front drive shaft. If it's gone replace the cv joint there. Try and pull the spark plugs to check them and if possible run a compression test. Also try to lift it up to see if any bearings are worn out. Plan on changing out all the fluids, my PO never changed my rear differential fluid so I am worried/figure some of my noises are from that. Use correct fluids as well. HOAT coolant only for the radiator. Atf+4 for transmission and t-case. Can't recall if excessive snot on the oil fill cap means anything or not. I always took that for trucks not being driven for very long, eg 5-10 minute drives.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

got it. Thanks a bunch!
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
ivantate

Hi, just looking into this and put a mega post in the Jeep buyers thread.

I will check the driveshaft boot on the one I am looking at.

Thanks

(p.s if anyone has time, please check the thread out. Any advice is welcome)
ivantate is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.