New to the Forum and An Odd noise in the Back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > New to the Forum and An Odd noise in the Back

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
GreggM

New to the Forum and An Odd noise in the Back

Purchased a 2005 Liberty for my wife a few weeks ago. Overall we are happy with the car. It has under 60K on it. Liberty has the 3.7 4wd and is in good shape. When braking and coming to a full stop there appears to be a thud in the back. It's nothing i've heard before. Any clues will help.

GreggM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

I think from I've come across is that it's either loose bushings in the rear lower control arms, the a-arm, or perhaps a worn u-joint. Further, it could just be that the slip yoke needs to be greased up, though you would also probably feel a thud or or something upon acceleration...
Tombo_ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggM View Post
Purchased a 2005 Liberty for my wife a few weeks ago. Overall we are happy with the car. It has under 60K on it. Liberty has the 3.7 4wd and is in good shape. When braking and coming to a full stop there appears to be a thud in the back. It's nothing i've heard before. Any clues will help.
With the car in neutral on a flat surface, get someone to rock the car forward and back, while you watch the rear suspension. If there is a lot of play in the rear tri-link (rear upper control arm, big boomerang thing with a ball joint... attaches to the rear diff), then you need to replace it. It could also be the lower control arm bushings (two for each arm).

It could be the U-joint too, but you would likely have vibrations and other noises on acceleration.
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc View Post
With the car in neutral on a flat surface, get someone to rock the car forward and back, while you watch the rear suspension. If there is a lot of play in the rear tri-link (rear upper control arm, big boomerang thing with a ball joint... attaches to the rear diff), then you need to replace it. It could also be the lower control arm bushings (two for each arm).

It could be the U-joint too, but you would likely have vibrations and other noises on acceleration.
X2.

Mine currently is the worn Ball Joint on the upper link. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
GreggM

Thanks for the hints. I'll check it out when there is no threat of rain... LOL said to wife "my 91 renegade doesn't make those noises" :-)
GreggM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.