Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New to the Forum and An Odd noise in the Back

707 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GreggM 
#1 ·
Purchased a 2005 Liberty for my wife a few weeks ago. Overall we are happy with the car. It has under 60K on it. Liberty has the 3.7 4wd and is in good shape. When braking and coming to a full stop there appears to be a thud in the back. It's nothing i've heard before. Any clues will help.

#2 ·
I think from I've come across is that it's either loose bushings in the rear lower control arms, the a-arm, or perhaps a worn u-joint. Further, it could just be that the slip yoke needs to be greased up, though you would also probably feel a thud or or something upon acceleration...

#3 ·
With the car in neutral on a flat surface, get someone to rock the car forward and back, while you watch the rear suspension. If there is a lot of play in the rear tri-link (rear upper control arm, big boomerang thing with a ball joint... attaches to the rear diff), then you need to replace it. It could also be the lower control arm bushings (two for each arm).

It could be the U-joint too, but you would likely have vibrations and other noises on acceleration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.