"New" 02 kj owner with concern. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > "New" 02 kj owner with concern.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

"New" 02 kj owner with concern.

I'm new to the Jeep/forum scene and have a possible problem. I just purchased an 02 kj 3.7 auto, with 99,000+ miles. Question is I just broke 100k and started to notice a "puff puff" sound running throughout the exhaust, speeds up as I accelerate, although doesn't seem to do it until it's at full operating temp. I've tried to google it, youtube it, and search forums, and it's definitely NOT a tapping or any kind of metallic sound. Been very nervous lately coming across all these blown 3.7 engine stories. Thanks in advance!

02blulbrty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Im not the best mechanic around and hopefully someone chimes in that could help you out.

When i got my used kj i had to replace the exhaust from the cats all the way down. I also did rhe head gasket too. Everything with parts was about $1300.

Now you stated that it gets louder/more frequent as you excellerate, this could be possible exhaust rot and there is a leak somewhere. Should be simple enough to get under there and visually see if there is any carbon build up in any area. Look for dark black spots along the pipe, if you see some mark it and turn the engine on to see if exhaust is leaking through. Also the manifold gasket may have failed. This is a bit trcky since it is hard to see, but again look for any discoloration.

As for the head gasket, telltale sign that this is bad would be oil dripping somewhere, usually it starts real small, but you may be able to notice drops in oil level over time.

Start with the exhaust pipes and work your way to the engine. Let us know how you did.
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for the advice. I do have an update, does not make "puff" sound until its warmed up. Also upon acceleration the "puff" speeds up and disappears. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but some things just stump me.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have a two week vacation coming up next month so I will have to wait till then to get it figured out. Will definitely update on any findings. Thanks again guys and gals.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

Finally, the vacay is here. I've had time to investigate the noise, and have determined it is definitely the power steering pump. Whines and groans after it sits overnight and as soon as it warms up it make that poof sound like slapping your hand over an open fence post. $60-$70 fix, not bad.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Glad it wasnt anything major.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

Any ideas on the back hatch glass that's missing the shock mounts? Do I need a whole new glass piece or can you get new ones and epoxy them on? Tired of holding it up for groceries and such.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Is the the piston missing or is it the ball mount that is missing? Pictures?
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
02blulbrty
2002 KJ Liberty 

there is nothing left on the back glass, totally bare. I was going to order new lift shocks but there is nothing to attach to. The metal ball mounts on the frame are there, nothing on the glass whatsoever.
Try to get pics up soon.

Last edited by 02blulbrty; 07-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: additional info

Tags
3.7 , engine , exhaust , kj , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.