Need some help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Need some help!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

Need some help!!!

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7l V6. Lately (at random times) the engine will bog down and act like it's being starved of either fuel or air. Even when the accelerator is pressed all the way to floor the engine doesn't respond. After a time the engine will rev up and it will drive just fine until the next time. On the occassion that it stalls, it will always restart and run fine until the next episode. I have replaced both Cats and front and rear O2 sensors. At this point I need some guidance before I throw more money at it.

ShadowBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have you hooked up a scan tool to see if you have any codes showing?

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

As of right now, I have no codes at all. Even when it did have codes it was for the O2 sensors, which have been replaced.
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
xxxxxxxxxxxxSmetna
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBroker
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7l V6. Lately (at random times) the engine will bog down and act like it's being starved of either fuel or air.
MAF sensor ok? PCV ok? Maybe your fuel injectors are filthy? Try running a couple bottles of Techron through your gas a couple tanks before your next oil change.
xxxxxxxxxxxxSmetna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for that info. I'll do that. Someone else suggested that the dreaded fuel filter may be clogged. Would that give me such issues?
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
xxxxxxxxxxxxSmetna
2011 KK Liberty 

If the problem is intermittent, probably not. Maybe one of the resident experts will stop in and give $.02
xxxxxxxxxxxxSmetna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

I appreciate all help I can get
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Bilge
2008 JK Wrangler 

First I'd do what Smetna suggested and then I'd also suggest checking the idle air control valve (IAC). Does it happen while cruising at a steady rpm or while accelerating from a stop or both?
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

It happens both times!
Unread 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Bilge
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, then probably not the IAC.

Is your check engine light (CEL) on? If so, see if any of the local auto parts stores will do a free CEL check. Even if there are no lights, you still may want to check to see if there are any stored codes. My wife's '05 WK had no CEL but I found 10 stored codes two with freeze frame data. She said the CEL was on briefly a couple of months ago but went off.

It would really be nice if you could get your hands on a data logger. Since the computer makes decisions based on data from the sensors it's often difficult to tell when a sensor is giving bad data until it completely fails and triggers a code. For example, my son's Eagle Talon was experiencing erratic driveability problems; After logging the data it was clear that the throttle position sensor (TPS) was going bad. There were no codes because the sensor hadn't completely failed or given data outside set parameters, but it wasn't giving proper data either.
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

I finally got around to fooling with my Liberty again. I started it up and drove it and it is having the same issues, but this morning it started something new. The idle was very high (but not more stalling). I used my cheapo OBDII scanner and got a code P0507 (Control System RPM Higher Than Expected). I unplugged the IAC and the idle returned to normal and stayed there when I plugged the IAC back in. Is this an indication of a faulty IAC?
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Bilge
2008 JK Wrangler 

It very well could be. But it sounds like it could also be the IAC control circuit. The reason I am thinking this is because unplugging the connector (if I read that correctly) lowers the idle. The valve could still be bad, malfunctioning electrically, but usually they just get worn and dirty then tend to stick. I believe I have a Factory Service Manual in pdf on my laptop. I'll see if I can track that down and find out the circuit diagnosis procedure then post it here for you.
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks. When I say the idle dropped, I mean that when I started the truck the idle was running at about 1300 rpm. Once I unplugged the IAC, the idle returned to normal.
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
ShadowBroker
2004 KJ Liberty 

Finally got the problem solved. I took the Liberty in to have the AC charged. The mechanic could not the the compressor to run. While doing some trouble shooting, he found a very loose ground strap. He fixed it (and found another). The compressor started running and I have had no problem with the engine bogging down. I have driven the truck for a week with with no stalling or stuttering from the engine. I'm so happy to have this problem solved and have my AC working again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.