Need to Replace Power Steering Pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Need to Replace Power Steering Pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

Need to Replace Power Steering Pump

Well, it looks like the power steering pump went in my 2003 Limited... has anyone done this job? The Hayne's manual says you need to take off the grill and radiator cross member. Is this really necessary? I know I'll need to remove the pulley from the old and press onto the new, but anything else I should know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll need to do this job today, as I have work tomorrow.

tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Jamans
2005 KJ Liberty 

Super easy job. I did my 05 in just under an hour. In my experience you don't need to remove the fan and radiator unless your running a direct fan clutch off the pump. I do not know of any Libertys with this configuration. Just mark your bolts and work your way around. I also put a 1/16" bead of RTV on the face just outside edge of the new water pumps inaugurated gasket.
Jamans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Jamans
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamans
Super easy job. I did my 05 in just under an hour. In my experience you don't need to remove the fan and radiator unless your running a direct fan clutch off the pump. I do not know of any Libertys with this configuration. Just mark your bolts and work your way around. I also put a 1/16" bead of RTV on the face just outside edge of the new water pumps inaugurated gasket.
Oops.... Power steering pump is also very easy. Nothing needs to come off to get it out. Hardest part is the new pumps don't come with a pulley wheel. Either reuse your old one or just buy a new one like I did an press it on yourself. Again about an hour job. Oh and use ATF+4 fluid only.
Jamans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you do not have HD cooling(mechanical fan) it's a easy job.You will need a PS pump pulley remover/installer tool(kits are like $20 at most parts stores or rent one).

Make sure you replace the o-ring on the pressure line,should come with the pump.Also I'd stay away from a remaned pump bought at places like advance auto,auto,and even Napa,buy only OEM the extra cost is so much worth it unless you like changing out the pumps every 1-2 years.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

Thanks guys... went OEM, and the job went pretty smooth. I'm hitting the "Everything that can go will go" part of my ownership. 142,xxx miles seems to mean that everything original needs to get replaced. Oh well... motor's still good. Next stop - battery.
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.