Need help after new Ironman lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Need help after new Ironman lift

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
rbm92226
2005 KJ Liberty 

Need help after new Ironman lift

I recently put on a full Iroman Lift front and rear, JBA UCA;s, 1/4" top plate. The suspension has been working great on a daily basis. I just went and added a 3/8" clevis lift and have now developed a odd banging sound when traveling at speed and hit a large bump or dip. The first time it happened I thought a rock had slung up and hit the jeep. It is almost like a banging sound that happens when I hit the dip head on. (like a speed bump) or large expansion joint . It does not occur when turning into the driveway or slow speed over an obstacle. I have looked for clearance issues and do not see any. I'm stumped. Any thought on where to look? Or is it that the suspension is still just very tight? Any ideas would be appreciate it.

rbm92226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How high are you in front now ( middle of wheel to bottom of flare)
How much clevis did you add?
Did you tighten the UCAs with full weight of vehicle on the ground?
Is it a loud knock or squeak ?
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
rbm92226
2005 KJ Liberty 

Right now I'm sitting at 23-1/8" front center of wheel to the bottom of the flare, 3/8" clevis, I did tighten the UCA's after on the ground, it is a loud knock. I only get the knock when I am going at speed over say a pot hole or a large deflection in the street. No knock when going up and over a curb or pulling up into the driveway
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Coil spring hitting the UCAs
Have you had it aligned yet?
If not that should help
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
rbm92226
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yes Tom I had it aligned right after the lift, and then right after the clevis lift was added. I am lucky that I have a friend with an automotive repair shop that will let me come in and use a spare bay from time to time on the weekends or after hours. I will go back and check and re check all bolts, control arms etc. If it is the control arm, any thoughts on what to do? It appears to have quite a bit of clearance when on the ground. I can run a finger between the UCA and the coil. If this matters, it only appears to be happening on the passenger side. Thanks for your thoughts.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
rocky2780
2005 KJ Liberty 

Curious to see what you find out as I'm installing this exact setup on mine in 2 weeks. Hoping you have success in diagnosing the issue. Please update thread if you do. Thanks!
rocky2780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

The UCA's may be bottoming out. Look at them and see if their is any dings on the bottom where it meets the pocket. if so you may need to remove some metal for clearance.???
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
rbm92226
2005 KJ Liberty 

Oilburner, I think you nailed it. I did a quick visual this morning this morning and there has been some contact on the bottom of the control arms. You can see the shape of the control arm in the metal at the bottom of the pocket. I should have opened them up when I installed it On Monday the de burring tool comes out. Thanks Tom and Oilburner for all of your thoughts. I think this myth is busted. :-)
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

A lot of folks just let them 'self-clearance.' Won't hurt anything besides maybe taking a little bit of paint off the a-arms.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

To cut or not to cut
that is the question
Is it ........
oh wait wrong section
Some let them go, I've always cut mine out so the arm doesn't have to hit
but everyone has a different outlook on it
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
rbm92226
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm going to take the roto zip to it. There seems to me a little more material on the drivers side than the passenger side. Should be a quick clean out. I'd really hate to damage that paint on those cool looking arms Thanks again for everyones help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.