NEED HELP!!! 4x4 or tranny problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > NEED HELP!!! 4x4 or tranny problem

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
06libertylimit
2006 KJ Liberty 

NEED HELP!!! 4x4 or tranny problem

was shifting out of full time 4 wheel drive back to 2 wheel drive and heard an awful popping/grinding noise coming from underneath the front of the vehicle so i pulled over shifted the 4x4 into neutral and back down to 2-wheel drive now my jeep wont go forward or backward in any gear and it also seems like the 4x4 shifter cable has disconnected. PLEASE HELP... 2006 jeep liberty limited 3.7 liter

06libertylimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
JeepCares

Some general information from the 2006 KJ Factory Service Manual (FSM):

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - TRANSFER CASE - NV242
Transfer case difficult to shift or will not shift into desired range.
POSSIBLE CAUSE - CORRECTION
1) Transfer case shift cable binding. 1) Repair or replace cable as necessary.
2) Insufficient or incorrect lubricant. 2) Drain and refill transfer case with the correct type and quantity of lubricant.
3) Internal transfer case components binding, worn, or damaged. 3) Repair or replace components as necessary.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - TRANSFER CASE - NV231
Transfer case difficult to shift or will not shift into desired range.
POSSIBLE CAUSE - CORRECTION
1) Vehicle speed too great to permit shifting. 1) Slow vehicle and shift into desired range.
2) If vehicle was operated for an extended period in 4H mode on dry surface, driveline torque load may cause difficulty. 2) Stop vehicle and shift transfer case to Neutral position. Transfer case can then be shifted to the desired mode.
3) Transfer case shift cable binding. 3) Repair or replace cable as necessary.
4) Insufficient or incorrect lubricant. 4) Drain and refill transfer case with the correct type and quantity of lubricant.
5) Internal transfer case components binding, worn, or damaged. 5) Repair or replace components as necessary.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
06libertylimit
2006 KJ Liberty 

thanks for the reply i crawled underneath the jeep and found that the plastic gromit that connects the 4x4 shift handle to the transfer case had broken leaving the transfer case in neutral so i hand shifted it back to the 2wd position and all is working fine have the grommit on order now and will replace it when it arrives... however i still need to figure out what would have caused the grinding/popping noise that was accuring after i shifted out of full-time 4x4 mode back to 2wd sounded like it was coming from around both front tires but it only does it when i disengage the 4x4 and it stops after a little while. any advice on what to check or look for would be greatly appreciated!
06libertylimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06libertylimit View Post
thanks for the reply i crawled underneath the jeep and found that the plastic gromit that connects the 4x4 shift handle to the transfer case had broken leaving the transfer case in neutral so i hand shifted it back to the 2wd position and all is working fine have the grommit on order now and will replace it when it arrives... however i still need to figure out what would have caused the grinding/popping noise that was accuring after i shifted out of full-time 4x4 mode back to 2wd sounded like it was coming from around both front tires but it only does it when i disengage the 4x4 and it stops after a little while. any advice on what to check or look for would be greatly appreciated!
Not fully in 2wd.The select trac t-case is a very touchy t-case to shift.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not fully in 2wd.The select trac t-case is a very touchy t-case to shift.
X2

Happened to me just the other day. I had it in Full Time 4WD (I do that about once a month just to keep things lubed up) and when I went to back out of a parking spot after shifting it back to 2WD it was all bound up. Shifted it into Drive and Reverse a couple of times before it dropped back to 2WD.

I know the 242's quirks but it will still get me sometimes...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 not working , drivetrain , tranny problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.