Nasty surprise when I changed my trans filter (not what you're thinking) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Nasty surprise when I changed my trans filter (not what you're thinking)

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Nasty surprise when I changed my trans filter (not what you're thinking)

So I changed my trans filter today. When I dropped the pan I was pleased to see no metal in it, but there was another nasty waiting for me... when my local (and highly reputable) trans shop rebuilt the trans a year ago, they must have over-torqued one of the pan bolts, because there's a crack in the trans casing across one of the bolt-holes.

I didn't take a photo, but the image below shows the location of the crack in red. That whole little chunk of the casing wobbles, and I think it was only the RTV (the blue line) that was holding it in place.

I've bolted the pan back up, and of course that bolt won't tighten. The only potential saving grace is that the RTV has been preventing any leaks, so I've got my fingers crossed that the new RTV I've applied will do the same job.

If it turns out that having disturbed it, the new RTV *won't* seal it, I guess my options are limited, right? Any chance of welding that chunk of the casing back into place with the trans installed, or am I looking at replacing the trans?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Jeepguy4276

Probably can't be welded on the jeep. I've had cases welded and machined before on other vehicles, but I had to pull the tranny or transfer case.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

So welding that chunk back into place *is* probably a practical option, even if it means pulling the trans?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

You could get yourself some JB Weld or other metal filler repair kit and form it in, then retap the bolt hole. You would have to remove the pan again and spray the area with a parts cleaner and let it dry thoroughly in order to get a good adhesion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Jeepguy4276

I've used "quiksteel" with better success than jb weld. It doesn't look as pretty unless you finish it because its hard stuff. I've drilled and tapped it, ground and sanded it. I used jb weld as well as that can be very smooth. In a case where I need strength, I don't think the jb holds up as well. It's easy to put on stance it's more of a solid putty than a cream like jb.

Either one you use, pulling it and welding/machining it. Quick fix vs proper fix.
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
I've used "quiksteel" with better success than jb weld. It doesn't look as pretty unless you finish it because its hard stuff. I've drilled and tapped it, ground and sanded it. I used jb weld as well as that can be very smooth. In a case where I need strength, I don't think the jb holds up as well. It's easy to put on stance it's more of a solid putty than a cream like jb.

Either one you use, pulling it and welding/machining it. Quick fix vs proper fix.
X2, I have used it as a trail repair on 2 stroke atv cases. I've always just left it and considered it a permanent fix. In fact my polaris 2 stroke is still held together with the stuff. Imo, I'd just pull the trans and have it properly welded and machined
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Jeepguy4276

I would also recommend taking it back to the tranny shop. They should know and be given the opportunity to correct the situation. They probably won't do anything, but give them a chance and let them know someone screwed up. Maybe you can get them to pull/install it for you if you pay the welding and machining. Probably not but you don't know unless you try.
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
X2, I have used it as a trail repair on 2 stroke atv cases. I've always just left it and considered it a permanent fix. In fact my polaris 2 stroke is still held together with the stuff. Imo, I'd just pull the trans and have it properly welded and machined
I have used JB Weld with great results, but if you say that Quicksteel is a better product I will buy me one and keep it for future use and see how well that it does.

Unread 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I would also recommend taking it back to the tranny shop. They should know and be given the opportunity to correct the situation. They probably won't do anything, but give them a chance and let them know someone screwed up. Maybe you can get them to pull/install it for you if you pay the welding and machining. Probably not but you don't know unless you try.
Chances are, the tech who had performed the tranny service may no longer be employed there. If it's a reputable shop they should stand behind their work. But, there's always that possibility that they won't cover it since the owner had decided to pull the pan himself. It won't hurt to try though.

Unread 07-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Jeepguy4276

Yep, it's at least worth a try. They may not do anything but maybe the shop will help out.

I always keep jb weld and quiksteel around. Quiksteel seems harder and cures fast. It also sticks to cruddy areas better and can be done with one hand and no applicator. But for things that need to look better, I use jb. Jb is strong and holds well and doesn't take as much grinding or sanding when needed. I used to use it to fix scuffed wheels when redoing them. They're both good but I do carry a tube of quiksteel in my tool and recovery kit because of its ease of use and quick setting. Try it out, see what you think, they both have good qualities.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.