mystery clunk/pop. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > mystery clunk/pop.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

mystery clunk/pop.

Okay so I recently put an ironman lift on. I have really put it through its paces and am beyond pleased. Tough as nails!
However, I think I really trashed something else. My front prop shaft/driveshaft had a bad boot on the transfer case side. It used to make a little clinging sound. Now I think its making a louder pop/clunk noise in certain situations. Like getting back on the gas which the wheel turned... Its been hard to narrow down when exactly it does it.
Just hoping anyone might have any ideas.
Anyone know how bad it would be to drive with the front driveshaft out for a day to make sure that's the problem?

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
skiwee75
2004 KJ Liberty 

yes u can run without your front driveshaft it wont hurt anything also what size lift did u put in?anything above 2 3/4 and cv shafts start making noise as well passenger one seems weakest
skiwee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

3".
And I did not want to hear the word CV joint.... Fmylife
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwee75 View Post
yes u can run without your front driveshaft it wont hurt anything also what size lift did u put in?anything above 2 3/4 and cv shafts start making noise as well passenger one seems weakest
Flat out not true.

Other suspension components may show their already-worn status but they would have needed replacement anyway - I'm talking sway bar links, sway bar-to-frame bushings, etc.

Many of us have over 3" of lift with no problems with CV axles. Mine sits at 22 1/2" in front, which is 3 1/2" over stock and 4 1/2" over what it was when I lifted it and the CV's are fine. The CV angles aren't severe at all:

To the OP...You've already diagnosed your problem since the CV joint at the transfer case was already toast. You're just noticing it more now plus it may have gotten worse at the same time as your lift. But the two aren't related because the front driveshaft angle from the T-case to the front diff doesn't change with the height of the front end; the front diff is fixed to the front cradle.

Go ahead and remove the driveshaft to confirm that is what you're hearing. Don't shift the T-case into 4WD or you'll have lots of problems Go ahead and replace the CV joint and throw the driveshaft back in when you're done and you're ready to wheel it!

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

Awesome. Thanks guys!
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwee75 View Post
what size lift did u put in?anything above 2 3/4 and cv shafts start making noise as well passenger one seems weakest
Sorry wrong information on the height you can go
I run 4.25 inches of lift with stock CVs
184,000 miles, over 160,000 lifted miles, left side is still the stock one, right side has been replaced once
Plus I've lifted 23 KJs and all in the 3.50-3.75 inches
mine
since Bob threw up a front view I'll give you mine in a rear view LOL
[/URL]

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.