Mysterious oil usage. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Mysterious oil usage.

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #31
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had read elsewhere on this forum that Power Steering Stop Leak was used to stop an engine oil leak in our KJ's, so I had bought a bottle and tried it out. I had went on a 1100-1200 mile round trip this past few days to pick up my daughter for the summer. I had bought a pint of Lucas Power Steering stop leak and poured it all into my crankcase, and within the third tank of gas there was no more oil usage. The last three tanks of gas I didn't have to add any oil to my engine. So what ever was leaking was apparently fixed by the stop leak. I can only hope that this doesn't create any problems in the future.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #32
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sure hope not. I'm not a fan stop leak type products. Did you try using an engine flush cleaner in the engine, followed by an oil change? That would have been my first choice. You still have the oil baffle in the oil filler neck, right?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #33
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Sure hope not. I'm not a fan stop leak type products. Did you try using an engine flush cleaner in the engine, followed by an oil change? That would have been my first choice. You still have the oil baffle in the oil filler neck, right?
I'm not a fan of any type of a miracle-in-a-can either, but I was getting tired of dumping in $5.00 bottles of oil on every or every other tank (I use Valvoline semi-synthetic blend). But since a typical stop leak works on rubber seals, I figured at the least I can narrow down the culprit.

I know engines, I have built a few V8's in my lifetime, and I know the characteristics of leaks and such, but when this particular rig didn't show any signs of a leak (even though there was heavy oil consumption), this had baffled me to no end. Usually, with any type of leak, there are SOME signs given, i.e. wet parts, drip stains on the road surface, etc. But not this one. So this is telling me that the leaking is ONLY occurring while I am driving, BUT, there should still be some sign of an oil leak left behind on something underneath. Also, if it was burning it off, the plugs and the exhaust would have signs of oil burning, but neither revealed any signs of oil burning. And at a quart every 250-500 miles, there would be a very strong evidence of heavy oil usage.

Unread 06-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #34
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Problem with that is, technology. Building old American V8s are like putting together a Tamiya R/C car these days. What applied to the old engines doesn't on the new ones. Due to the cleaner burning nature of the newer engines, and emissions systems with that, they can burn oil or have oil burn off without signs. When you get to the point of an engine smoking now, it's really burning it. Oils today are totally different than they were 10-20 years ago, let alone 30-40. The EPA has forced them to back off on certain additives in the oil, leading to sludging of oil rings much more often now, as well as burn off. There are likely signs, but they won't be of the type you are used to seeing.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #35
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Problem with that is, technology. Building old American V8s are like putting together a Tamiya R/C car these days. What applied to the old engines doesn't on the new ones. Due to the cleaner burning nature of the newer engines, and emissions systems with that, they can burn oil or have oil burn off without signs. When you get to the point of an engine smoking now, it's really burning it. Oils today are totally different than they were 10-20 years ago, let alone 30-40. The EPA has forced them to back off on certain additives in the oil, leading to sludging of oil rings much more often now, as well as burn off. There are likely signs, but they won't be of the type you are used to seeing.
Now you're making me feel old.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.