Mysterious oil usage. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Mysterious oil usage.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #16
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

You could, but if the underside is dry, it's not going to show anything, as it is burning it then.

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #17
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

my 02 burs oil like its free too. 3k oil changes, good air filter, new pcv, the whole nine yards. my conclusion? its 130,000 mi KJ and its just a thing it does. wheel on brother
Unread 05-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Have you run an engine cleaner/flush thru it yet? It will eventually plug your cats if left alone.
Unread 05-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

While changing out my radiator a couple weeks back, I had noticed some yellow pen writing on the water pump pulley, like that what is typically found on a salvage yard part. Ironically I had ran into the salesman of my dealer recently and he had asked me how that Liberty was doing, and I had replied to him that it was running great, but that it uses oil. He then proceeded to tell me that the motor in my Liberty is NOT the original motor, and that it had came out of a newer model with less miles, but he couldn't tell me any details as that he didn't have that information. So, at this point, I'm in the dark as to the mileage that is on the motor, what year that it had came out of, or the condition of the vehicle that it had came out of. So with this information I am going to perform a thorough inspection of the engine and see if I can find the source of the oil loss as that I really don't want to break down hundreds of miles away from home. On my next oil change this weekend I will run some motor flush through it and see what comes out of it. Maybe I'll even pop off a valve cover or the oil pan and see what is lurking within.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

im pretty wary of engine flush products. i grew up at my families car dealership and its been my experience with high mileage motors that if it isnt really broke, then dont fix it. and ive seen engine flush cause spun bearings and other engine fatalities. just my personal opinion...
Unread 05-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Our mechanic told us it is not uncommon for these engines to burn oil. No explaination as to why.

Perhaps some it drawn into the engine via the PCV system.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklanier84 View Post
im pretty wary of engine flush products. i grew up at my families car dealership and its been my experience with high mileage motors that if it isnt really broke, then dont fix it. and ive seen engine flush cause spun bearings and other engine fatalities. just my personal opinion...
Typical urban legend, some factual basis but mostly legend, just like cross rotating radial tires. If it's using oil, that constitutes broken, therefore in need of fixing. Engine flush chemicals don't cause spun bearings, neglect of the vehicle does. If the engine is sludged solid, then yes, a flush cleaner can loosen deposits, block oil galleys and cause starvation, and the engine fails. Again, not because of the flush, because someone didn't care for their vehicle. What is fairly common today, is deposits in the oil rings, leading to oil consumption. Ford has internal bulletins on this matter and how to fix it. High mileage now is 300k+.
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have never had any issues with any type of motor flush, even kerosene (which is what I use since I can't tell the difference between motor flush and kerosene). I had a 1988 YJ with a 1993 XJ 4.0 with over 187,000 miles on it with a noisy lifter, and after using the motor flush the noisy lifted had ceased and my idle had smoothed out. The secret to any motor flush is to use a maximum of one quart, and to not to drive your vehicle while the motor flush is in your crank case. The added stress of driving with it in your engine "could" create problems (as I emphasize could, but not necessarily "will"). Although this may not be the proper procedure, I let mine idle for about five minutes, then I rev the engine to between 1500-2000 revs for about 30 seconds, then I let it idle for another two minutes, then I drain it.

On another note, my Autolite Platinums are showing no signs of oil burning, just a nice soot-free, light tan coloring. I only have almost 3500 miles on a synthetic blend oil change, so the engine has had plenty of time to develop oily deposits prior to that. BUT, I will not rule out oil burning, although I can doubt that due to the amount of oil usage.

Unread 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
can you put some dye in the oil and then check for leaks when you add the next quart of oil?
I would love to, IF I had SOME kind of signs of leaking. But as you may or may not have read in one of my earlier posts, I have used a sheet of card board under it for a full night, I have also parked my Jeep on clean pavement and concrete, and I still have no signs of drips or any wet areas on my engine, transmission, or skid plate.

Unread 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #25
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Mystery solved! I have no idea how I could have missed this during my underside inspection, but while changing out my oil last night I had found where my leak is, it's coming out from the lower part of the timing cover gasket. This is strange that I haven't seen any oil drips though, so it must only occur when the engine is running. I will do what I can to repair that leak when the time becomes available.

Unread 05-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Most oil leaks do not leave spots on the ground. Dirt and wind soak it up and blow it backwards. When you start seeing spots, its a bad leak.
Unread 05-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Most oil leaks do not leave spots on the ground. Dirt and wind soak it up and blow it backwards. When you start seeing spots, its a bad leak.
But usually there are signs of oil leaking by build up on surrounding components, and there is none at this point. BUT, I haven't removed the skid plate to see if it could be building up and soaking into the sand and dirt. That job will be performed this weekend.

On another note, I had performed an oil change with air filtr and spark plugs. All six plugs looked great, except with one (#5) having some white soot build up. But all of the plugs were Autolite Platinum AP3944, and they all gapped out at as follows; #1 .041, #2 .041, #3 .041, #4 .041, #5 .040, #6 .042.

Unread 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #28
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have also read that there was a TSB on the oil filler assembly for high oil consumption. I just discovered that my 02 is going through oil really fast too. Thanks for the tip on the timing cover, I'll look that area over. I have the typical valve cover drip but that is like one drop a week but we went thru a half quart driving like 140 miles yesterday.
Definitely going to have to chase this issue down.
Let us know if you find anything more.
mefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #29
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefish View Post
I have also read that there was a TSB on the oil filler assembly for high oil consumption. I just discovered that my 02 is going through oil really fast too. Thanks for the tip on the timing cover, I'll look that area over. I have the typical valve cover drip but that is like one drop a week but we went thru a half quart driving like 140 miles yesterday.
Definitely going to have to chase this issue down.
Let us know if you find anything more.
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by remmons; 05-20-2014 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Removed redundant info.
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

To my dismay, I still am going through oil the same as before the crankshaft seal replacement. I have went through 1.5 quarts in three fill ups, and there's still no evidence on the ground or the under carriage. Back to the drawing board.

Tags
hidden oil leak , mysterious oil leak , oil leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.