Is my transmission problem going to cost me an arm and a leg? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Is my transmission problem going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
BuzzardBait999
2002 KJ Liberty 

Is my transmission problem going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Feel free to call me an idiot, I've been doing that all day. I just wanted to check the oil level in my 5 speed manual transmission, but the owner's manual and my Haynes manual were both wrong about the location of the filler hole.It's NOT on the passenger side! I found a cross bolt in the middle of the transmission near the place where the two halves of the transmission bolt together. That's on the driver's side. The bolt has a 13mm head. I loosened it up, heard the clicking sound of a bolt that has been torqued as I broke it loose. I thought to myself, this plug has a lot of threads! But I went ahead and pulled it out, and heard a clunking sound as some heavy piece of metal dropped a short distance. Now I'm afraid to start the engine or even take the transmission out of gear. Any advice or criticism is welcome

BuzzardBait999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

No idea what it will cost, but you should have double and triple checked and looked for other instructions on this.

There are two plugs on the transmission case that you can touch. The fill plug and drain plug. Drain plug is on the bottom (17mm allen I believe) and the fill plug is on the side (14mm). It's all accessible from the driver's side.

Check this list next time: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Li...6_Socket_Sizes

To be honest it sounds like you need to have it towed to the closest shop and hope that it doesn't cost a fortune. Sucks
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
BuzzardBait999
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for your reply

I did some research on the internet thingy and determined that the bolt I stupidly removed seems to hold a metal part that clamps the reverse idler
shaft in place.

I stopped by two local transmission repair shops, the first two shops were being minded by old ladies while the mechanics were out chasing parts, but the guy at the third shop agrees that what I suspect is probably the case.

So I had my Liberty towed to his shop this morning. He said the labor to remove the transmission is $371.00

I'll feel lucky if I only have to pay $500 for my brain fart
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardBait999 View Post
I did some research on the internet thingy and determined that the bolt I stupidly removed seems to hold a metal part that clamps the reverse idler
shaft in place.

I stopped by two local transmission repair shops, the first two shops were being minded by old ladies while the mechanics were out chasing parts, but the guy at the third shop agrees that what I suspect is probably the case.

So I had my Liberty towed to his shop this morning. He said the labor to remove the transmission is $371.00

I'll feel lucky if I only have to pay $500 for my brain fart
Think about it this way, at least you had the foresight not to start the car and trash the tranny completely.
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
BuzzardBait999
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm doing the "Snoopy Dance" today!

I'm deliriously happy that my problem was easily solved by Jeff, the mechanic at B&B Transmission who stuck a piece of stiff wire up the transmission drain hole and pushed the reverse idler shaft clamp back into alignment so he could
reinstall the bolt.

He only charged me $65.00 labor for fixing what I thought was going to be a
huge budget disaster.
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardBait999 View Post
I'm deliriously happy that my problem was easily solved by Jeff, the mechanic at B&B Transmission who stuck a piece of stiff wire up the transmission drain hole and pushed the reverse idler shaft clamp back into alignment so he could
reinstall the bolt.

He only charged me $65.00 labor for fixing what I thought was going to be a
huge budget disaster.
Awesome. Sounds like you found your mechanic unicorn!
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

That guy needs to be on your Christmas list!
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.