Is my power steering going? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Is my power steering going?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
MemphisJeepDude

Is my power steering going?

Lately (naturally, right after I dropped $800 on new brake pads/rotors/calipers), my 2005 Liberty Sport 3.7L has made a whining noise when turning at low speed, both forward and reverse. This seems like a power steering issue, no? How much would something like this set me back? The car has 122k miles, so not sure how much its worth it to put a bunch of money into it again

MemphisJeepDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

The "whining" is the classic sign of low fluid. CK it out, you might get 2-3 qts and flush the system to get rid of the old burnt fluid. Hopefully you caught this in time before the pump gave out from lack of fluid. Oilburner
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
MemphisJeepDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbuner View Post
The "whining" is the classic sign of low fluid. CK it out, you might get 2-3 qts and flush the system to get rid of the old burnt fluid. Hopefully you caught this in time before the pump gave out from lack of fluid. Oilburner
I bought some fluid at AutoZone the other day (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...equestid=84164) but I can't for the life of me find the place to put it! The manual shows where it is on the 2.8L engine, but not on the 3.7L. Also, not sure if I bought the right kind of power steering fluid.

Any thoughts?
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ATF+4 is the proper power steering fluid if memory serves me today.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

And if my memory serves me right, the resevoir is between the engine and battery/fusebox (a bit hidden, but it should be there). I also believe it is ATF+4.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
And if my memory serves me right, the resevoir is between the engine and battery/fusebox (a bit hidden, but it should be there). I also believe it is ATF+4.

yup just a little bit forward of that area ... ATF+4 is correct!
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
MemphisJeepDude

Is the fluid I got not ATF+4? It doesn't say anything on the bottle or at the link
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Usually if it has Prestone on it, I generally avoid it. Link is what I usually use.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...chTerm=atf%2B4
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.