My Jeep is Falling Apart!! HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > My Jeep is Falling Apart!! HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
fjamespar
2003 KJ Liberty 

My Jeep is Falling Apart!! HELP!

Ok,
I have an '03 Liberty Sport 3.7L, and it seems like everything has gone wrong all at once!

1) My A/C went out 2 weeks ago (join the club, right?) - I can replace that myself.

2) Both rear windows went out (about a year ago) - I can replace that.

3) Oil leak in front valve cover - recent (I think I can do that).

but the BIG issue that I need help with is this:

4) I hadn't driven the Jeep in awhile (because of the A/C) and when I went to crank it, it wouldn't start. I assumed it was the battery (I had a 4 year-old battery in it), so I bought a new battery. I replaced it, cranked up no problem (this was 2 days ago).

Today, my wife was driving it home, stopped to fill up with gas, and it wouldn't start again. It sounds like the starter is trying to turn over, but can't get over all the way... In other words, it sounds like it is getting power, but slows down before it can start up all the way.

I have no idea what this could be! Could it be the starter? Could it be the alternator is out and drained the new battery?

From reading the forums, it sounds like it could be absolutely anything, and I have no idea where to start outside of randomly replacing parts which could get expensive.

Not to mention, the Jeep is still sitting outside the gas station. Should I tow it?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

fjamespar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check the battery at a local auto parts shop, make sure it isn't bad before you rule it out. Most, if not all, places will do it for free.

Next likely scenario is that the alternator is bad. If you tried running the A/C at all while it was busted, it could have worn it out prematurely I think.

Also, if it is the alternator or battery, you should be able to jump it and drive it home at least. It is manual, right?
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
pdenning2011

I am also leaning towards alternator, easy thing to check take it out and to auto zone or pep boys they will test it for free!
pdenning2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It is manual, right?
It is manual. At this point you push it...

Have you tried jump starting it? Will it go?

The alternator sounds like the deal here. If the alternator's bad, you're battery is draining. All you need to test is a digital voltmeter. First thing you do is getting a reading of the battery ~ should be at 12.7V or so. If you get below that, the battery has drained, which means the alternator didn't charge it - knowing the battery is new, this usually tells you it's a problem with alternator.

Then jump start it. Voltage should be around 13.50V with no load while eng is running (shut off radio, light, etc.). Make sure you measure after you disconnect the jump battery or all you get is the reading of the jump battery. If you don't get that kind of reading, then your alternator is probably bad.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenning2011 View Post
I am also leaning towards alternator, easy thing to check take it out and to auto zone or pep boys they will test it for free!
They can not properly test your alternator.The voltage regulator is in the PCM.With the use of a battery temp sensor the PCM can stop the alternator from charging the battery and is 100% normal if the conditions call for it.

Normally while running the alternator should be putting out between 13.5-14.8 volts depending on system condition.

Oh and just because a battery was just bought and thought to be new does not mean it is any good.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you 100% positive the battery cables are tight on the posts of the battery? Seen/heard this many times, people change batteries and it doesn't start, turns out the cables weren't tight when the new one got installed.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do what Reptile advised you...ie. check the voltage across the battery while the engine is at idle...If you do not get a reading of about 13.5 volts then there is a problem with the charging....not neccasary the alternator being the problem as the alternator is regulated by the PCM (ECM in a diesel).
Do the above check, check for clean and firm battery terminals and report back your findings.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diagnose , diagnosis , help needed , starter , starter issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.