My first plug change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > My first plug change

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
lmanwarren
2002 KJ Liberty 

My first plug change

Well leave this weekend for Virginia Beach. So thought being I get 18 mpg on the highway. I would drop in a new set of plugs. Well haven't had the liberty long but think still on original plugs. Plugs looked the way they should for color. But center was worn down so had .064 gap. Job wasn't bad at all but yeah why down in a hole lol.

lmanwarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Please update

I would be interested to find out if/how much of a change you get with the new plugs. Please update when you get back from your trip.

And of course have a nice trip and enjoy the beach!
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
lmanwarren
2002 KJ Liberty 

Update. I'm still at the beach but here is what I have so far. I ended up changing pcv and air filter as well. Now I generally run 5 over the limit. But I decided on this trip. I would do the limit so I would have a base. Well first tank I average 20.14 mpg. Filled up Tuesday for second time. Also the last tank had some highway as well driving around the Virginia Beach Area. Well that tank come out to 19.84 mpg. So I am seeing a difference. Is it all due to plugs or my driving what I should. Not really sure but I will keep it at the limit see what I get long term
lmanwarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmanwarren View Post
Update. I'm still at the beach but here is what I have so far. I ended up changing pcv and air filter as well. Now I generally run 5 over the limit. But I decided on this trip. I would do the limit so I would have a base. Well first tank I average 20.14 mpg. Filled up Tuesday for second time. Also the last tank had some highway as well driving around the Virginia Beach Area. Well that tank come out to 19.84 mpg. So I am seeing a difference. Is it all due to plugs or my driving what I should. Not really sure but I will keep it at the limit see what I get long term
That's not bad.

I just got back from a highway trip too and I noticed a little change with mine after I did the plug change too but mostly just on the highway. (OEM NGK's) I can get 20 highway if I keep moving but as soon as I get off the highway and start driving in traffic and lights etc, ....forgettaaaboooutit.....LOL But I am lifted with bigger tires but I got skids .....ya know.....just to smoothe out the airflow underneath my 4,200lb pig....LOL
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for letting us know. That is a pretty big improvement for just plugs, so I will definitely keep an eye on mine.

I changed mine when I first got the Jeep - they were about the same condition as your old ones. I didn't check the mileage before I gave it a tune-up, so I don't know where it was. I have not been able to break out of the 19.xx bracket on highway trips.

I think that in general running plugs in good condition will help with engine life by preventing misfires and ignition knocks.
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Mines changed every 25000 or so, they're cheap, easy to change so why do some wait so long??
21-22 on the hiway and mines a pretty heavy little piglet
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I do not burn the Corn gas in my jeeps, if I can not get to a "real gas" station I will use Lucas Ethonal killer! THE Bottom line here is I avg 25 mpg on the hwy in my 2005 Libby.
I own 3 jeeps, and if you can avoid that corn gas you will save ton of $$$$ in the long run imo.

My 94 Cherokee gets 21-23 mpg btw,,,,,,,,,, Clunker? lol

Still breaking in the New wrangler, but I will not burn that gas a hol in any engine I own.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.