multifunction or headlamp switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > multifunction or headlamp switch?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

multifunction or headlamp switch?

when i turn the steering wheel to switch lanes sometimes my interior lights come on. the other mornign i was driving to work and my headlampos cut out 3 times on me. i could hear the relay operating.

jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
when i turn the steering wheel to switch lanes sometimes my interior lights come on. the other mornign i was driving to work and my headlampos cut out 3 times on me. i could hear the relay operating.
Multifunction switch controls the headlights,so I would say the multifunction switch is bad.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
I havea 2002 Cherokee (Liberty in the USA) and have a very similar problem. The interior light also comes on sometimes when I change from low to high beam and vice-versa. I also note that my dash illumination is always dark and if I rotate the collar on the indicator stalk the interior light comes on too.... Sometimes the interior lights come on just driving along and when i twist the dash illumination control to the lowest setting they go off.

Feedback from this and other Jeep forums points to the indicator stalk on the left needs replacing however this appears to be a combined unit with both left and right stalks being a single part together. I have bought a used unit and will fit in about a week when I get home from this rig and figure how to change it without setting off the airbag

Let us know how you get on with this as its a most annoying problem.

Have fun

AndyT
AndyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

It takes about 10mins to change the multifuction switch in a KJ,no airbag removal required.
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It takes about 10mins to change the multifuction switch in a KJ,no airbag removal required.
Thats the best news I've had in a while. Can you describe briefly how to go about this as I don't have a Manual for the car as yet. I've looked on various places and can't find any info as yet.

Many thanks in advance

AndyT
Unread 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTee View Post
Thats the best news I've had in a while. Can you describe briefly how to go about this as I don't have a Manual for the car as yet. I've looked on various places and can't find any info as yet.

Many thanks in advance

AndyT
Just need to take off the steering column covers,like 3-4 screws(on the bottom cover),after those are removed it's only like 2-3 bolts that hold on the multifuction switch.
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

:-( still have issues with the interior lights...

Well I changed the multifunction switches for another set and as tjkj2002 says its very easy to do with just 2 screws to come out from under the steering wheel to remove the panels and the multifunction switch just lifts out. The screws have a Torx type head on them though so a normal screwdriver or allen key won't work, luckily I have a full set of torx keys.

HOWEVER - I changed it over for a much newer switch from a 2005 car which looks identical and the issue is still there :-( In fact the front fog lights come on as soon as I put the side lights on now so either its a duff multi function switch or they changed the pin connections from 2002 to 2005 which sounds unlikely as all the functions are the same. I also note I am getting the "glass" warning coming up so need to look at the wiring to that and the switch itself. Does anyone know how is the best way to get to the glass closed switch, is it just by removing the rear tailgate door trim panel off or something more difficult.

Many thanks in advance.

AndyT
Unread 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just a quick update - I read through all teh online manuals from the link on this site and got more convinced my fault lay with the flip up glass warning switch. As this switch is normally open when the glass is closed I just removed the trim from the tailgate and disconnected the switch at the local connector and hey presto everything works fine. Apparently the switch isn't seviceable on its own and I don't fancy ******* out more for a new one so its just been left disconnected, I can't imagine me forgetting teh glass is up living in Scotlans as its freezing here

Next jobs now are te ABS sensor light comes on intermittantly and the cruise control isn't as smooth as i feel it should be.

I even go the code fr my radio so another result Time to chill with a few beers for the night.

AndyT

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.