Much difference between Wrangler ST and SR-A?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Much difference between Wrangler ST and SR-A??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andHey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerrai

Unread 02-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Monstermile

Much difference between Wrangler ST and SR-A??

I'm pretty much not happy with the traction on the stock Wrangler ST's. I went to a local Goodyear dealership to see about trading up. He suggested a few but no sizes were available except the Wrangler SR-A. He is going to give me $75 each credit on my ST's because of the low mileage. Question is will I see much difference in traction between the two?? I would really like to get some BFG AT's or Bridgestone Duelers, but I can't really afford the full price of new rubber right now. That is the only reason I am considering these. Unless it would be a worthless swap.

Monstermile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
flyingpylon

I am by no means a tire expert, but I drove a Liberty with SR-As for a couple of weeks prior to getting my current Liberty which just has the STs. There's definitely a difference in feel... the SR-As just feel "bigger" and perhaps just a little "rougher" and I think they bounce a little more. But all of that should be expected as they are all-terrain tires.

For what it's worth, I decided not to upgrade to the SR-As because a lot of people give them bad reviews. I figured, if I want to upgrade the tires later anyway, why pay the (approx $229) difference to get the SR-As which I may not even like? I'll probably stick with the STs for a while until I build up enough "political capital" with my wife and then get one of the other brands you've mentioned. People seem to like both of them a lot.
Husky Liners F/R, Mopar Cargo Tray, Cargo Cover, Tire Cover, etc.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
flyingpylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Than07jk

I hope the st is not to bad, I had to go cheap and got mine black Friday weekend for $330 and free shipping, I do know on hard packed snow I was surprised how well they do, I don't remember my old Mickey Thompson mtx a/t's doing that good. if you want to see those mtx tires they are hard to find now and it usually goes to another model.
Than07jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Than07jk

p.s. the wrangler st has some to do with size, I have been reading the reviews, I do know the 225/75r16 wrangler st has a better tread than the bigger sizes, the 225/75r16 has more space for water to escape from the tread while the others are not like that, all the bad reviews I have read are the bigger sizes which are not as good. I don't know why they are different but they are.
Unread 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have no love for the St's that came on the KJ's. Found them to be the worst tire experience ever, hydroplaned on only minimal rain. The silent armor GY's worked very well summer or winter, problems solved. Not the cheapest though. YMMV

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I tossed the stock Goodyears as soon as I could when I bought mine new, would spin if it just drizzled out
Unread 01-05-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Silent armor, armor trac would both be a decent tire. The st and sra are crap, complete total absolute crap.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Than07jk

been having good luck with mine & surprised with the traction on packed snow so far.
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
svensd
2006 KJ Liberty 

Has anyone had experience with the Firestone Destination AT? Are they US made? They seem to have good reviews on another site.
svensd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svensd View Post
Has anyone had experience with the Firestone Destination AT? Are they US made? They seem to have good reviews on another site.
When I bought mine new in 2004 I swapped out the junk SRAs with Destination ATs. ten times better than tyhe stock tires actually did pretty good that first winter, didn't run them very long, ( less than a year) due to going bigger, and bigger and......
Would I run them again, more than likely not, better tires for what I use mine for out there
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Reskar
2010 KK Liberty 

I had the firestone destination ATs was very happy with them both on and off road.
Reskar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
svensd
2006 KJ Liberty 

Found out that the AT's in Renegade size is made in Costa Rica, not US. Time to start looking at Cooper.
svensd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I've heard good thing about Cooper but never had a set. I'm still shopping for KJ tires too but have to get some soon. I've got the Firestone Destination ATs on my Ranger and they're okay. They look good to me and work well in most conditions except they seem a bit slippery in the rain. Of course the Ranger is a rather light pickup but I do have a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the back and still gets loose in the rain. Dry or dirt, mud or snow and they seem fine. Weird.

Guess I'd agree with Tom, probably wouldn't buy the Firestones again.
Unread 01-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

A decent cheap AT tire is the GT Adventuro AT3. I picked up 4 (245/75/16) off from the discount tire direct ebay page back in August for $308 (free shipping) They were $408 and had a $100 discount if I used PayPal.

I've ran them for around 8500 miles so far and they have been surprisingly good in all conditions. They have a touch of a Humm to them on wet pavement but are quiet on dry pavement. They do well in deep wet snow and held their own in light powdery snow. They claim to last 50k miles. Time will tell.
Cropduster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
Than07jk

I will have to check those GT Adventuro AT3 out for my next purchase, that's the size I wanted anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.