Manual Reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Manual Reverse

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-16-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
drose2

Manual Reverse

I have an '05 Libby sport, with a manual transmission. It seems to grind gears in reverse : . Has anyone had this problem?

I have driven a stick for years and don't think I have burned a clutch after 16,000 miles.

drose2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
m90daytona

mine doesnt grind going into reverse try holding in the clutch for 5 seconds and then putting it in reverse. i know my old cherokee had this problem. if you went to put it in reverse immediately it would grind but if i held the clutch in for 5 seconds and then put it in reverse it was fine.

or push the clutch in, put it in first, and then put it in reverse w/out letting the clutch out in between. this works well too. i think it has something to do w/ the input shaft still spinning when you push the clutch in.
m90daytona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
GaryL06

My old cherokee used to do that all the time, too. Eventually the tranny siezed and I wrecked it.

Have you check the fluid level? Do you park for prolonged periods of time on a hill?
GaryL06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Some vehicles that I have driven in the past with a manual trans, seemed to go into reverse easier if you put it into first gear first and then into reverse. Don't know if this will work but it is worth a shot.
TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
m90daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJjim
Some vehicles that I have driven in the past with a manual trans, seemed to go into reverse easier if you put it into first gear first and then into reverse. Don't know if this will work but it is worth a shot.

thats what worked on my cherokee.
m90daytona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.