Major 2002 Liberty sport run issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Major 2002 Liberty sport run issues?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
jhc7399
2002 KJ Liberty 

Major 2002 Liberty sport run issues?

First off, hello everyone. I have been browsing the forums for a few days looking for answers and the closest post with my issues never responded how they fixed the issue.

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7, 2 wd.

Wednesday night I was driving home from work, about 7 miles total. Stopped by the store and noticed the engine sounded a little different? Well I got to about 2 miles from the house and she started trying to stall, so I pulled over and things just got worse from there. I had to use Nuetral and the brake pedal like a clutch to make it home. By the time I got there I was lucky to be able to go 10 miles an hour. Severe missing, engine races from 2000 rpm down to 200 rpm, tries to stall then races back up again, repeat? Gets alot worse as it warms up. Also a pretty bad smell while it is trying to run.

Friday night I replaced the MAP sensor and the PCV valve, no change. After I replaced those I made it up to Autozone about a mile away and they ran a diagnostic, brought back 10 codes. By the time I made it back to my house same thing, no power, engine racing, trying to stall.

These are the codes:
P0108: MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
P0118: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW
P0132: O2 SENSOR 1\1 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE LOW
90138: O2 SENSOR 1\2 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE HIGH
P0171: 1\1 FUEL SYSTEM LEAN
P0300: MULTIPLE CYLENDER MISFIRE
P0303: CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE
P0305: CYLINDER #5 MISFIRE
P0442: EVAP LEAK MONITOR MEDIUM (0.040) LEAK DETECTED
P0455: EVAP LEAK MONITOR LARGE LEAK DETECTED
.................................................. ...

My boss at work is an ASE Master Mech and is telling me clogged Catalyic converter(s). I am on my way to see if there is anything rattling around when I tap them with a hammer. Don't really know what else to do after that besides start replacing sensor one at a time?

Any ideas would be very much appriciated and I promise I will post the solution when one is found...

Thanks Jeff

jhc7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Check fuel pressure too.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc7399 View Post
First off, hello everyone. I have been browsing the forums for a few days looking for answers and the closest post with my issues never responded how they fixed the issue.

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7, 2 wd.

Wednesday night I was driving home from work, about 7 miles total. Stopped by the store and noticed the engine sounded a little different? Well I got to about 2 miles from the house and she started trying to stall, so I pulled over and things just got worse from there. I had to use Nuetral and the brake pedal like a clutch to make it home. By the time I got there I was lucky to be able to go 10 miles an hour. Severe missing, engine races from 2000 rpm down to 200 rpm, tries to stall then races back up again, repeat? Gets alot worse as it warms up. Also a pretty bad smell while it is trying to run.

Friday night I replaced the MAP sensor and the PCV valve, no change. After I replaced those I made it up to Autozone about a mile away and they ran a diagnostic, brought back 10 codes. By the time I made it back to my house same thing, no power, engine racing, trying to stall.

These are the codes:
P0108: MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
P0118: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW
P0132: O2 SENSOR 1\1 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE LOW
90138: O2 SENSOR 1\2 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE HIGH
P0171: 1\1 FUEL SYSTEM LEAN
P0300: MULTIPLE CYLENDER MISFIRE
P0303: CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE
P0305: CYLINDER #5 MISFIRE
P0442: EVAP LEAK MONITOR MEDIUM (0.040) LEAK DETECTED
P0455: EVAP LEAK MONITOR LARGE LEAK DETECTED
.................................................. ...

My boss at work is an ASE Master Mech and is telling me clogged Catalyic converter(s). I am on my way to see if there is anything rattling around when I tap them with a hammer. Don't really know what else to do after that besides start replacing sensor one at a time?

Any ideas would be very much appriciated and I promise I will post the solution when one is found...

Thanks Jeff
1st autozone did not do a diagnostic,they just pulled the codes.A diagnostic tells you what is wrong.

I'd be starting with bank 1 as almost all your issues are dealing with bank 1.Sounds like a massive air leak when the engine warms up.Although that coolant temp sensor code can cause alot of issues by itself but not generlized in one bank only as it would effect both banks.
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
jhc7399
2002 KJ Liberty 

Today I replaced all six plugs and the Throttle Position Sensor and still the same. Now it smokes really bad. Bought Driver side upper and lower O2 sensors but I can't get the old ones off to see if it will do any good. I guess it is off to the shop unless anyone has any suggestions.

I could have a shop test the fuel pressure right flex?

By the way, looking at around 125,000 miles.
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

It sounds like a computer issue to me. With the amount of money you've thrown at it so far to no avail you would be better off taking to a dealer and pay for diagnostic charge which is usually a one hour labor charge to find out what exactly is wrong with it.
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
jhc7399
2002 KJ Liberty 

So if I take it to a dealer they can pinpoint the problem?
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

A dealer, or any reputable repair facility worth their grain. Your engine light has been on for a while, before this all happened, hasn't it? I'm judging that by the evap codes set, they won't normally set with running issues, unless you have a purge hose disconnected from the intake manifold. With that being the case, you have a slew of codes, and not a real easy way of finding out what came first. Alot of your codes set are symptoms of the problem. If you have a cat restriction, it didn't happen by chance. They melt down and plug up when the engine is neglected, and left running poorly for sometimes even a small amount of time. Need to know what the fuel pressure is doing, and how good your ignition coils are, and if you put the correct NGK plugs gapped at the right spec, before doing anything more.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
jhc7399
2002 KJ Liberty 

Been awhile...I ended up on a painstaking trip a few miles away to a shop. A lot of stalling and restarts... Got it there under it's own power, Had them run a diagnostic and they wanted $95.00 to diagnose and asked for $400.00 more to pull the oil pan?? and see if there were any other problems in the engine? I told them no and had it towed back home. I then checked the pressure on each cylinder and I had zero pressure on 1 & 3, 95-125 on the other four. So I am going to go ahead and get a reman engine, tow it to my work and my boss and myself are going to do a swap. I really like the vehicle and figure to get another 100-200 thousand miles out of it afterwards, hopefully. I will let you know how the swap goes. I have found a few places that seem reputable online anywhere from $2,300-2,600 with free shipping and a $300 core. If anyone has any suggestions based on past experience to buy the reman I would appriciate it, thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.