Lower left and right brake lights not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lower left and right brake lights not working

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 04-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
JessK4283

Lower left and right brake lights not working

My lower left and right brake lights stopped working. Everything else is functioning properly. I changed the bulbs and the fuse, however, no dice. Suggestions?

JessK4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The kj brake lights are up top its running lights and brake lights together on top then turn signal then reverse light then a red reflector. Theres only 3bulbs the very bottom red has no bulb just a reflection
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
JessK4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
The kj brake lights are up top its running lights and brake lights together on top then turn signal then reverse light then a red reflector. Theres only 3bulbs the very bottom red has no bulb just a reflection
I'm sorry, I don't follow you at all. Is this a reply, or do you have the same problem, or....?
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok on this assembly the top light isnt working is what your saying or the very bottom doesnt work

2013-04-13-08-03-19-2146552031.jpeg
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
Ok on this assembly the top light isnt working is what your saying or the very bottom doesnt work

Attachment 606926

I think what the OP is saying is that the third brake light...high up above the flip-up glass....is working but the two lower brake lights ie. left and right...are not working.

The power to all three brake lights is common so obviously the brake pedal and fuses are OK. The third brake light though has a different ground to the two lower bake lights so the ground could have gone missing to those failing lights.

@JessK4283....what year is your KJ....I will look in the circuit diagrams to see where the ground for those brake lights are supposed to go.

Edit to add: If your tail lights/turn signals are working then it is probably not the ground as the bulbs in the cluster share the same ground.

What is different to the third brake light and the left/right brake lights is that the latter get their power via connector C310 pin 6. This connector is located in the rear load area on the right side, just below the rear power outlet,behind the plastic cover. It is a light grey connector and the wire you are looking for is a White wire with a Tan stripe.

You ideally need a Multimeter to check at the rear brake bulbs if there is +12 volts on the base of the brake lamp...White/Tan wire...when the brake pedal is jammed down. If the +12 volts is there then maybe you need to clean the bulb housing well in case you have a bad contact...either on the bulb base or the grounding point of the bulb.

If the +12 volts is not there then you need to trace that White/Tan wire to connector C310 and check if the voltage is on both sides of the connector..maybe re-plugging that connector fixes the problem.
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
JessK4283

Thanks guys. Lots of things to try after work. @Billwill: It's an '06 liberty sport
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
JessK4283

No power to the stop lights.
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

OK here is the 2006 Circuit diagram showing the Right Rear Stop light...Left is the same.

With the brake pedal jammed down tight you expect to see the "Lamp-High Mounted Stop" as shown on the left of the diagram to be lit up and if you put your meter on the White/Tan wire on that lamp you will get +12 volts measured to a ground somewhere or to the Red wire on the bulb.

Now move the meter lead to the White/Tan wire at the Right or Left Stop Bulb and you are supposed to get +12 volts there while the negative lead of your meter is on the grounding point of the bulbs ie. the Black wire. If there is no voltage there then try move the negative lead to a good clean chassis metal...if the meter now shows +12 volts then the ground is missing to the bulbs.

Otherwise you will need to keep the one side of the meter grounded and move the positive lead up the White/Tan wire to check for where the voltage goes missing...maybe at pin 6 on connector C310.
img.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessK4283 View Post
No power to the stop lights.
I presume you are saying that you are not getting power to the left and right stop lights but you are getting power to the High Mounted Stop Light?

If so then follow the circuit diagram I have supplied...if all the stop lights are not working then you may have a fuse blown or the Brake Switch is faulty.
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
JessK4283

Top works just fine? So I'm thinking it will be the ground like you suggested. Thank you for your help!!
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
JessK4283

Fine. Not fine? Oops!
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessK4283 View Post
Top works just fine? So I'm thinking it will be the ground like you suggested. Thank you for your help!!
Yeah if your tail-lights, turn signals work then it will not be the ground wire as it is common to everything....may be that the actual metal housing that the brake light bulb fixes into could be corroded.

You need to trace the voltages as I have said...using a Multimeter.
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
JessK4283

In the spirit of keeping it simple, and a lack of proper tools at work, I thought I'd try changing out the sockets. Viola! Brake lights. The sockets are burnt, and the plastic under one of the tabs on the housing was a little melted. So I'll be replacing the sockets tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's help!
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
bigjermLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just to add for anyone who might do a future search. On my wife's 2007 liberty the brake light stopped working on the passenger side. Blinker and back up worked and the light even worked when the parking lamps worked were turned on! After some looking I figured out why. When you remove the brake light socket you see 2 metal prongs close to each other. I assume they get really hot and melt the plastic around them and then sink down. I bent both tabs up slightly and the brake light now works just fine.
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
RepTheMHC

On my wifes Jeep the left brake light doesn't light when the pedal is pressed. The running light turns on when they are switched on, but I don't see a change in the bulb when the pedal is pressed (top light and right side works as normal). Is there a resistor in the path somewhere that makes the light dimmer when just running and brighter when the brake pedal is pressed?
RepTheMHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.