Loud thunk in brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Loud thunk in brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Loud thunk in brakes

Ok, back again with this issue.

Whenever I touch the brakes at all after changing direction, I hear and feel (in the pedal) a loud thunk sound coming from the front end.

Someone suggested it could be the pads moving around in the calipers, however I did just check this today and there just doesnt seem like enough room for the pads to slide and cause this to happen.. This also did not happen a year ago when the pads were first installed. Could this still be the problem and if it is.. how serious is it?

If not.. any other ideas?

Extra details: the noise does not occur at any other time except when braking after a direction change. ex: no going up or down hills, over speed bumps, pot holes, nothing.

Thanks!

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

anyone have any ideas? /:

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
pkowilich
2005 KJ Liberty 

have you replaced your brakes recently? if so, did you use the metal clips that clip to the caliper? if you don't use those, the pads float and make a noise.
pkowilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

The pads didn't have any clips with them. They were the napa higher end pads

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Ramirez9925
2003 KJ Liberty 

Actually check your e-brake pads cuz I had the same problem n thought it was in the front as well but r&r the e-brakes and problemwent away
Ramirez9925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
CampHost
2002 KJ Liberty 

I just did front brakes a few days ago. On the caliper bracket there are channels that the ears on the pad slide into. Were there silver inserts in those channels?

When I installed my pads I had a hard time getting them to slide into the bracket. I took the inserts out and cleaned the area up with a wire brush and snapped them back in. The fit is real snug but there is no rattling and the caliper is floating nice. Without those clips or inserts, I would think the pad would be quite loose and could clunk around.
CampHost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

There were inserts if I remember correctly, and they went back in there (or I replaced them I believe). Also I did have the rear brakes just done (I hate drums) and it didn't make a difference in the noise.

Sorry for not getting back, with all the school, work, and 6 feet of snow we've gotten here in two months I haven't had time to do much of anything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.