A lot of problems (Common or Not), Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > A lot of problems (Common or Not), Please help!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
BrentonHawley
2004 KJ Liberty 

A lot of problems (Common or Not), Please help!

I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I am repeating anything that has already been brought up within the site. I have a few problems with my Liberty and while I'm not the most auto-savvy person, I'm wanting to learn and try and fix things.

1. Vibration: I saw this one posted in a thread but I also wanted to add something. When i get going above 40 mph the jeep will rumble a bit on and off and then go away after 50mph. Feels like its coming from the tires. However, when I put it in 4 wheel drive, it vibrates almost constantly while driving. I hope it doesn't have to do with anything trans wise, but would any of you know whats going on here? I did have my jeep in about a year and a half ago to get the u-joint replaced somewhere for a recall.

2. Sunroof: My wife got pissed the other day and slammed the cloth slider back on the sunroof. Since then it rattles very loudly when it is slid back. I've tried to pull out pieces or see if it came off track but to no avail. Again, anyone have this problem before and know what to do?

3. Catalytic: My catalytic converter is bad, and a simple question is this. The guy at jiffy lube told me it'd be better for me to just cut it off rather than replace it. Thoughts?

4. Tire pressure sensors: *heavy sigh* this is by far the most annoying problem. I am constantly having TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING come on the console. I have had this back to the dealer for this very reason more than 3 times, and they can't tell me which one is bad. Any advice?

lastly... 5. Suspension: No matter what the temperature, when i go over speed bumps or bounce out of potholes, my jeep always makes a loud audible squeak. Sounds like rubber in the suspension but it doesn't sound right at all. Ever heard of that?

After I get this all fixed, I'm going to start upgrading my jeep to look better than just a soccer mom ride. Then I'll start posting pictures. Hopefully with this info I will be able to help others with the same problem. Thanks again for any help provided

BrentonHawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
BrentonHawley
2004 KJ Liberty 

Also, I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty limited. Standard V6. Not sure much on anything else but if you ask I will find out
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

1--Check the front driveshaft,the t-case end CV boot maybe bad,could have bad rear driveshaft u-joints also.

2--Can't help there

3--If your under 80,000miles go straight to the dealership and they have to install new ones for free,above 80,000 miles and your on your own and they are expensive(replace both at the same time).Replace them,it's federal law to have them and $2500 fine per cat if removed and your doing damage to the engine with bad ones and will do damage to the engine with no cat's also.

4--The TPMS sensors have batteries which only last about 5-7 years,might have to replace all of them.

5--Front swaybar bushings.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
BrentonHawley
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for your feedback! I'm hoping that I can find somewhere to learn about these parts or someone that knows what to do! I did find a cata. converter for about $300. Seems reasonable but I don't want to buy a piece of crap!
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
1--Check the front driveshaft,the t-case end CV boot maybe bad,could have bad rear driveshaft u-joints also.
Mine was doing the same thing,

Boot was torn on the front drive shaft by the T-case allowing water in the CV joint. It was all rusted inside, tons of free play.

I'm trying to fix it now.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentonHawley View Post
Thank you for your feedback! I'm hoping that I can find somewhere to learn about these parts or someone that knows what to do! I did find a cata. converter for about $300. Seems reasonable but I don't want to buy a piece of crap!
Its not worth the trouble to try and replace a cat on your own, unless you have experience doing it. Stainless cuts horribly, and clamps even worse, and not everyone keeps a mig welder at home. Take it to a repair shop that does them, Midas, CarX, etc., and have them replace it. The retard at jiffy lube is a testament to their industry, its the fast food of auto repair. Its illegal, via state and federal laws to remove it and not replace a catalytic converter. Some cities, its also an ordinance, like here in colorado springs. Ought to call JLI, jiffy lube international, and report the location. Should not have an issue with a cat's quality, all aftermarket cats have the same federally mandated warranty. Long as its the correct universal cat for the vehicle, and its OBDII compliant, you should be good to go.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

TPMS can be a pain. With a tpms relearn tool, you can usually walk around and ping the sensors, and see if any are blatantly dead. If they all pass, go thru the relearn sequence, and if one sensor wont communicate with the control module, you wont hear the horn honk that it saw it during relearn. If it passes all of that, then you likely have one getting weak, and it sometimes wont wake up as needed.
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

As for the catalytic converter(s)...

I just replaced the driver's side cat with a Walker aftermarket unit, #16118. Hardest part? Unplugging the upper O2 sensor from it's connector under the exhaust manifold. Ended up not being able to get the cat to seal to the crossover pipe (wrong size gasket included with cat ) and had a local Midas shop put in the correct gasket. 30 minutes and I was outta there...

FYI: The 3.7L has THREE catalytic converters. One connected to each exhaust manifold and one on the straight pipe just in front of the muffler.

Including the Mopar OEM V-clamp that holds the cat to the exhaust manifold (DON'T use aftermarket clamps - they don't fit) and the trip to Midas I spent a total of $235 for the repair. Got a $40 rebate on the converter direct from Walker. A local repair shop owner told me he thought it would run $600-$800 bucks.

Glad I can turn a wrench...

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Only problem with aftermarket cats is they are not 50 state legal,meaning not federally approved,state approved but not in all states.

The KJ's with the 45RFE does have 3 cats,2 main cats which should be replaced together as a newer one on one bank can do funny things with fuel trims and cause issues down the road.The 3rd cat is the catch all one and is not monitored.

KJ's with the 42RLE only have 2 main cats.
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Only problem with aftermarket cats is they are not 50 state legal,meaning not federally approved,state approved but not in all states...
That's correct. Walker states very clearly that this particular model cat is not legal in California. As I'm not planning on moving to beautiful - but overregulated - California, I'll be OK.

Troy, you thinking I should replace my other cat too? Was gonna wait till I got a P0137/0138 for O2 sensor readings on that side before I replaced it. Dang, starting to get cold here and the garage floor is a little chilly to be rolling around on a creeper...

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
That's correct. Walker states very clearly that this particular model cat is not legal in California. As I'm not planning on moving to beautiful - but overregulated - California, I'll be OK.

Troy, you thinking I should replace my other cat too? Was gonna wait till I got a P0137/0138 for O2 sensor readings on that side before I replaced it. Dang, starting to get cold here and the garage floor is a little chilly to be rolling around on a creeper...

Bob
If it was me I would replace both main cats at the same time.I have had many vehicles come in the shop with fuel/driveability issues when only one cat was replaced with fairly high miles with a aftermarket cat.Put in another matching main cat in place of the remaining OEM one and the issues went away.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah CARB changed the rules a few years ago, so that aftermarket cats are no longer legal in their sense of the law in cali. Makes for some costly cat bills when you have to go OE, but there have been plenty of times, that aftermarket cats wont perform well enough to pass a cat monitor. We started stocking the cherry bomb XL and XXL cats for the bigger vehicles that will take them, where legal of course.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.