Originally Posted by Jeep-R-Roo14
Sounds like they really want to get this over and done with, just like you said. Looking forward to more news, and some pics if possible. GOOD LUCK!!
Went to the first dealership last night to cancel the deal (since they couldn't find... or were unwilling to find... what I wanted). My sales rep greets me and I said
"I'm sorry to say but I'm going to have to cancel the deal. I'll have to sit back and decide where we want to go from here, but I'd like this one cancelled for now." (the key here is to verbally say "cancel the deal"... more on this later).
After running back and forth to the sales manager 3 times, they tried to convince me of everything from buying the black one, to leaving the $500 deposit on a 2005 model and they'll order it exactly how I want. I declined all offers and asked just to put the $500 back on the credit card and that would be fine. So my rep makes one more trip to the manager and comes back and informs me I'll have to make an appointment with the sales manager TOMORROW to get my money back. I asked again for my $500 and asked for the voided cheque (for pre-authorized debts of my account). He goes away one more time, comes back and hands me the cheque and says just call in tomorrow and ask for the sales manager and make an appointment. I stood there for a while and looked at him in disbelief and he said I'm sorry there's nothing more I can do for you so I paused a bit more and walked out.
So I rush over to the other dealer and explain the situation (I hadn't told him anything about this other dealer until this point). He says that we likely have to hold off on doing business until it gets straightened out. All sales reps have to belong to some Association and the association strictly forbids any rep from selling a vehicle to a customer while they are currently engaged in a contract for the same vehicle elsewhere. I understand why the rule is in place.. it's so sales reps from one dealership don't actively pursue customers of other dealerships in an effort to undercut them. So my rep (from the 2nd dealership) goes and asks his manager what to do. The manager said that as long as I verbally told them "I want to cancel this deal" then that deal is cancelled, whether they're holding my money (for ransom) or not. So without even knowing I made the correct statement and had the right approach when cancelling the deal at the first dealership (who'd of known??).
So to be nice on my credit situation, the 2nd dealer said he'll just take the minimum deposit of $300 (instead of the typical $500) so that I don't have so much pre-authorized stuff outstanding. The only thing I didn't care for is they'll be driving the vehicle from it's current place to the dealership (rather than using a car carrier) So It'll have about 600-700 kms on the odometer by the time I get it. And just like Steven73 mentioned in the other thread, they gave me the line "we hire old white haired retired guys to drive them"... said EXACTLY like that. Must be something the sales guys are told to say
Here's something neat though... the finance manager at the 2nd dealership will be buying a CRD when they arrive. They live in the country, her husband owns a trucking company and they have a huge diesel storage tank on their property (for the trucks) so she's getting the CRD so she doesn't ever have to run to the gas station again.. she'll just fill up at home! Now ain't that a cool idea!