Losing tire pressure in low temps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Losing tire pressure in low temps

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Bighaeb

Losing tire pressure in low temps

What's the deal? The wife's Liberty renegade is losing tire pressure from 32 all the way down to 10 every time it gets below around 20 or so in temp. This has happened a number of times now. Just one tire does it. I got a compressor so we can deal with it for now. No one can seem to find a leak when submerging in a tank or even doing the soap sud trick. Any clue? Anyone else had this happen?

Unread 02-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
hyedipin

down to 10? that's too much.. guessing that your area temp does not differ 80 degrees from night to morning..

Get it checked elsewhere (no one can find the hole?)..
Probably a spike or something letting air get away.. no big deal, really, but 10? that's way too low.

Another suggestion. Spit on the air valve, see if it bubbles
2004 KJ LTD Black, For sale: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...-trac-1277711/77k miles, 16.3 mpg, clear turn signals, Black euro taillights installed, window air deflectors, kenwood x590 headunit, premium factory sound system, 17" limited clad rims, Nokian Vatiiva A/T tires, tinted fronts, flowmaster 50 SUV series,
hyedipin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
gerrya

Usually after checking the tire for nails I tighten the valve core. Ive checked valve cores with leak tech and it showed no leak, but after tightening it anyways it stops.
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
wild_weazel

Sounds like my problem. I had a bad rim when it got cold it was to porus (sp). I spent 2 winters trying the dunk thing at a dealership. I finally brought it to a different dealership I told them my problem and told me to let them try it there way first if it didn't work then they would order me a new rim (on warranty of course). They did the dunk thing cleaned the bead and checked it for nails etc... Well guess what it didn't work. I brought it back to them and let them see it overnight. I put the bad tire on the tailgate and told them it was flat. I let them fill it with air and let it sit overnight. The next morning they came in and it was flat. Needless to say about 6 days later I had a new rim and no more leaks.

Don't let them keep doing that damn dunk test. You know that there is nothing wrong with the tire. Make them get you a new rim. I think DC might of had a bad batch of rims. I've only heard of this on the Reny's though. Do a search and you wil see this has been brought up a few times. I think I'm on every post. Goodluck
1990 Jeep YJ, Olivine Green, SBC 350, 700r4 Tranny, NP231C Transfercase, Painless Wiring, Superlift 3.5" Lift 5/8" M.O.R.E. Shackles, 33" tires. Dana 44's front and rear 4:10 gears, And a Whole lot of Money
wild_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.