Losing power in 3rd? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Losing power in 3rd?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Losing power in 3rd?

I just purchased an '06 Liberty Limited w 58k miles. It looks great and runs great, but I have noticed that it loses power while accelerating in 3rd gear. I'll be accelerating and right around 2000-2500 the rpms just drop down to 1500rpm. I'm a little confused to what could be happening to cause this. If I give it enough gas it downshifts and I'm fine, but it just doesn't feel right. I've never had a vehicle that would just stop accelerating like that. Any ideas? I checked the air filter and it's clean and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a fuel filter that could be dirty.

mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
jaarr76
2007 KJ Liberty 

Over drive mine does the same. I turn it off all the time.
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've tried turning that off when it begins losing power, bu it doesn't seem to change things. I'll try it again prior to losing power and see how that affects it.
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It seems like everyone is saying overdrive and that it's acting normal, but it's happening around 30mph to 40 mph repeatedly. I'm no Jeep expert, but I'm assuming that they wouldn't have made such a poor design. It kind of defeats the V6. Is there anything else that could be happening?
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
jaarr76
2007 KJ Liberty 

Mine does it around 40 mph. It shifts into over drive it's a very dramatic change like it's geared to high. I asume that's just the way it is.
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Look at the overdrive as an RPM limiter for fuel economy. This works fine on level ground on highway for maintaining a low RPM and good fuel economy. The problem is that enter in the wieght of your KJ and passengers, and try to hill climb, with overdrive on. It will bog out and the downshift comes on too late to rescue your speed up the hill.
Before the hill, I take the overdrive off and try to get the speed up enough, so It does not bog out in the middle of the hill. Practice getting some power on with overdrive off and you will see what I mean.
Large long steep mountain hills often require 2nd gear and hopefully not to the floor. The KJ is heavy and when I pull boat you feel like you may end up going backwards up mountain. It is not the most powerful thing for pulling. I prefer V-8's for that work, but it can do it.
Many with larger tires re-gear front and rear diff's with 4:10s so the powerband is more usable.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for insight everyone. It's good to know nothing is actually wrong.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Powerslave
2006 KJ Liberty 

Mine does this too, it's the Torque Converter Clutch locking up... I am currently trying to place a switch to disable it. I have done it in other vehicles, just not sure where on this one. IT makes for a nice Tow/Haul setting, but make sure you have a good transmission cooler.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I decided to take everyones word and accept that it was just a libby thing, but then one day I was parked and idling and the rpms started hunting a little. They dropped to around 500 rpm and then jumped to 1100 rpm. They would settle out around 700 and then do it again. After the 3rd or 4th time the engine stalled. The lack of power while accelerating is happening slightly more and I just don't think it's a libby thing anymore. I've changed the plugs and seafoamed it, but that didn't do anything. Could I have a bad sensor of some type?
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Opticalx007
2006 KJ Liberty 

Yes it could be any number of sensors going or gone bad... One you should check first is the mass air flow sensor... If you are running an oiled air filter that may be your problem, a dirty mafs... Try that first and see what happens...
Opticalx007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Powerslave
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticalx007 View Post
Yes it could be any number of sensors going or gone bad... One you should check first is the mass air flow sensor... If you are running an oiled air filter that may be your problem, a dirty mafs... Try that first and see what happens...
There is no MAF!

RPM hunting is usually a bad TPS.

I am running an Oiled Air filter, it is not the problem.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think there is a write up about it in the manual. I was worried about it when I bought my '06 as well (purchased 12-2010).

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
spittingglass
2006 KJ Liberty 

Was there ever a definitive answer to this? I'm having the exact same issue with the same model year, right down to the dropping to ~1500rpm. Generally occurs once hitting the 35mph mark/3rd gear. Overdrive on/off makes no difference.
spittingglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.