Looking at a CRD Liberty... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Looking at a CRD Liberty...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at a CRD Liberty...

Maybe this topic has been hacked to pieces and nobody wants to talk about it anymore, I searched and didn't find much...

I have a 1997 Wrangler with the 4 cyl so I am a Jeep fan but am frustrated with the lack of power and lousy fuel mileage and the 1000lb towing cap... I use it for commuting and for pulling heavy trailers both onroad and offroad, but I don't do any wheeling. For all intents and purposes, I SHOULD own a truck, but I don't.

There is an 05 CRD for sale locally, and I've been looking to upgrade into something that I can take on longer trips but still have 4wd and get my work done, and get good fuel economy for commuting... I am looking for a job and it looks like I will lose my carpool and the fact that it's close to home. So there, I've justified the need...

First off, would a 6'9" guy fit in a Liberty? I fit in a Wrangler... Sort of...

Is the CRD engine anything special? Is it a great engine or a so-so engine? Does anyone have any links to in depth looks at the powerplant?

At 81k, are there any major service expenditures I can expect soon? What is the price range I should expect to pay for a CRD Liberty?

Are there modifications that can be done to increase fuel economy?

My Wrangler has held up very well to all kinds of abuse on and offroad, has been cheap to own, and very reliable. Can I expect the same kind of performance from the Liberty?

Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Lots of questions. Complicated answer! I own an '05 CRD. I bought it with 43,000 miles on it from someone who took VERY good care of it. The previous owner installed a Suncoast torque converter and added a stage two Inmotion chip. Probably the biggest POSSIBLE issue is the torque converter. They seem to be weak, or have the possibility of being week in this drive train. Jeep issued a recall and detuned the engine via the computer, and changed the transmission CPU and the shift points of the transmission as well to help solve this issue.

If you read other KJ forums that have CRD specific threads you'll see other people and their issues with the truck. Ive been very lucky with mine as Ive not had any problems.

If you were able to find one that had been taken very good care of, Id say go for it. I change my oil, filters regularly. I have the trans t-case and diffs changed regularly too. These are things that must be done to insure vehicle life.

The EGR is a ***** and causes soot build up in the intake. Lots of people unplug the EGR. I have. I also have a Pro-Vent to prevent bypass oil and junk fro venting into the airbox. Probably the best cure for the EGR and etc is a Green Diesel Engineering computer chip. GDE has done wonderful things tuning this motor. I have a GDE transmission tune and will be getting the CPU tune soon.

I love my truck and I'm getting 36+ MPG on the highway driving 60mph.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f228/
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ahh, yes. Questions.

You will fit, but as with most rigs of this size - it will be snug I'm thinking.

The 2.8 CRD is kinda special - can't off the top of my head think of any small to midsize SUV's that even have diesel as an option. These will flat out surprise you. With a GDE eco-tune (not a chip) they absolutely rock and for all intent you should not have any EGR issues and hit some mpg's that will make your wallet smile to-boot.

At 100K the timing belt and list of other items need to be replaced. You will be looking at 1500+ if done at a shop. The 2.8 is an interference engine. Really don't want a potential for a three mile island type failure. That service work needs to factored in to any purchase price unless you are looking at a sub 50K mile rig. JMPO

Performance wise - it will be a nice upgrade from what your 97 gives you. 05's have a few less computer nannies than the 06's if that is a factor in your searching.

There are other things, but untill you actually see this one & drive it - not much more can be said.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know absolutley nothing about the CRD but I will chime in on the height issue. I've got an 05 3.7 and I'm 6'1" and "fit comfortably" in the libby. Long trips kill me with the lack room to stretch out my left leg next to the clutch. If the seat would go back towards the back seats a notch or two it would be all good, but it doesn't. All I can say, if I was a couple more inches taller, then the libby wouldn't be a very comfy vehicle at all. Take that thing for a loooooong test drive so you can get a feel for how it's going to be. If I were a betting man, I'd say you'd be a little cramped.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that will be a problem, dmblair... The height thing. It already is a problem for my Jeep, but modified seat brackets are available to fix that, but I've been holding off in lieu of getting something else.

And also I am off-put by (reading the forums CRD Joe posted up) that people need to mod the crap out of them to fix a list of EGR, MAP, head, turbocharger, transmission, and other problems. I am a very good mechanic but I'm done with "intentional self abuse". These problems are happening with low miles and seem to be due to poor design as opposed to wear and tear....

Thanks for the input... But I think I will let an enthusiast get her.
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr00b View Post
Yes, that will be a problem, dmblair... The height thing. It already is a problem for my Jeep, but modified seat brackets are available to fix that, but I've been holding off in lieu of getting something else.
i had no idea they had different seat brackets. i am 6'4" and a hefty fellow and it is a tight fit but the worst part it if i sit up straight then my head hits the ceiling! since i have a sun roof i open it up a lot but then i stop at stop light i have to crouch down to see the light under the roof line. i have the manual seats and i have been looking for a way to lower my seat for a long time!
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.misch4x4.com/bigboy_brackets.html

I guess they make them for KJs too... Merry X Mas... lol
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

But those just move the seat back. I need one that lowers it
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.