Looking to buy a jeep, out of town. Anyone have experience or advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Looking to buy a jeep, out of town. Anyone have experience or advice?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Krissypoo29

Looking to buy a jeep, out of town. Anyone have experience or advice?

My father is a mechanic. I live in a smaller town in Ontario, and the thing is..there are tons of Jeeps in the GTA area. But the thing is I need my dad to look at the car first. I cant just go and buy one without him- I trust his expertise. Thing is I dont want to drive the jeep back. I would want to get used to it first, and I havent driven on major series highways before. Would be a far stretch to get me and him down there, look at the jeeps, and schedule one to get delivered to my city?

Thanks Guys. This would be my first vehicle purchase!

Krissypoo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Many dealerships can arrange shipment. Often times they just pay someone to drive it unless it is really far and then they will help get it shipped.

But for the extra cost of shipping plus the premimum you will pay a dealer I would suggest you bite the bullet and drive it back. Highway driving isn't difficult. Just stay close to the speed limit, stay in the right lane unless passing, watch for people merging on the on ramps. When an 18 wheeler passes you be prepared for a little bit of 'bucking', it's not drastic but you know you are being passed. Often times I slow down as they pass just so I am not driving along side of them and to help give them plenty of room to merge back in.

What you want to avoid is driving in the left lane next to someone at the same speed. Either pass them or slow down and get behind them.

Also, if you find yourself passing an 18 wheeler, speed up and get by them. Don't take 2 minutes to pass them. You might be breaking the speed limit but that is safer than hanging out next to one.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
splumer
2005 KJ Liberty 

Could your dad drive it back? Having it delivered I imagine would be really expensive.
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Krissypoo29

Quote:
Originally Posted by splumer View Post
Could your dad drive it back? Having it delivered I imagine would be really expensive.
Yah we have discussed it and we are going to bring my friend who has a 2006 jeep liberty diesel to drive it back
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

Krissy, I would recommend you find a nice safe stretch of road and then take over the driving for your friend for a while at some point on the way back. It will be a good opportunity for a little practice while you have an experienced driver sitting next to you.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Krissypoo29

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Krissy, I would recommend you find a nice safe stretch of road and then take over the driving for your friend for a while at some point on the way back. It will be a good opportunity for a little practice while you have an experienced driver sitting next to you.
Yah. I drive in the city and have driven on highways but not 400 series highways. Those scare me ever since I was a passenger in an accident on why 400. Actually if I go out there to get a vehicle I am going to have to take a nerve pill :/

I might think about taking over, maybe not on the bigger highway but a 2 lane highway possibly!
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

You are smart to think about stuff like that. Many mistakes are made by those who get out of their comfort zone before they are ready.

I know you will love your Jeep!
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Krissypoo29

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
You are smart to think about stuff like that. Many mistakes are made by those who get out of their comfort zone before they are ready.

I know you will love your Jeep!
Thank you. I hope so!!! :P

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.