Looking at a 2002 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Looking at a 2002 Liberty

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Looking at a 2002 Liberty

Greetings.

One of my friends back home has asked for my input on a Liberty he is looking at buying. I however have never dealt with them, only ZJs, WJs, WKs, XJs, JKs, TJs, YJs, and CJs, lol.

He said it is a 2002 for $5500 with 120k miles or so on it. He said it's a limited as well. Now he isn't the most gear head person so this is all I know about it. I am going home though in a week and a half and will try to personally look at it and drive it for him to make sure he won't end up in over his head, or aka it wont end up permanently parked in my garage.

With that being said, what are some of the common problems or issues with the 02's - or at least things to look our for?

Anything specific to check other than the normal items you'd look at on a used vehicle?

How does the price seem for the age and miles?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

just make sure its as stock as possible, carfax helps tons. and 5500 sounds high since its already over the 100k mile mark. did the blue book say over 5k price? hopes this helps =)
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

I haven't checked KBB myself. I know for say a WJ, $5500 is pretty good for that year and mileage.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
MikeyMLV

2002 Liberty

Before I bought my 2005 Liberty I did alot research and found that that the 2002 year was a huge mistake for Jeep. Many problems and working at an auto parts store I see alot of people looking for parts.
MikeyMLV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMLV View Post
Before I bought my 2005 Liberty I did alot research and found that that the 2002 year was a huge mistake for Jeep. Many problems and working at an auto parts store I see alot of people looking for parts.
Acvtually '02 KJ's have the least amount of issues compared to any other model year of KJ.

The '02 is the best year,reason you see so many '02 owners getting parts is it's 9 years old now,it's older and more miles so naturally your going to see more '02 owners then say a '05 or '06 owner.

'02 has the better auto trans and far less likelyhood of a broken window regulator over newer KJ's.A '02 built before April 12th of '02 sits higher then newer KJ's(3/4" higher) and all '02's(4wd) came standard with the front skid which became a option on later years.The only bad thing is they have 2 LBJ recalls('03 and some '04's have 2 LBJ recalls also).
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Acvtually '02 KJ's have the least amount of issues compared to any other model year of KJ.

The '02 is the best year,reason you see so many '02 owners getting parts is it's 9 years old now,it's older and more miles so naturally your going to see more '02 owners then say a '05 or '06 owner.

'02 has the better auto trans and far less likelyhood of a broken window regulator over newer KJ's.A '02 built before April 12th of '02 sits higher then newer KJ's(3/4" higher) and all '02's(4wd) came standard with the front skid which became a option on later years.The only bad thing is they have 2 LBJ recalls('03 and some '04's have 2 LBJ recalls also).
So all in all, it'd be a pretty good buy?

I know i'm always nervous about buying new model years so I got a 96 ZJ, which was the big update for the ZJ, and I want an 02 WJ, which was the big update for them.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

02 was the best with the heavier duty trans and will sit an inch higher from the factory. Better leather seats. The only thing I can think of other than the usual checking over of a used vehicle is there was a LBJ recall. Go to any jeep dealer and give them the vin# to check or go to jeep.com under "owners services" where it says "recalls" and put in the vin# and it will tell you. Don't know for sure about the price.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
crsantin

Haven't had any major issues with my 02 Limited. Check to make sure the LBJ recall was done.

The one issue I did have was with the neutral safety switch, located inside the transmission. It was an expensive fix.

I've also had the ignition cylinder replaced, the cylinder where you insert the key, a common problem on the Liberty.

I replaced the rad recently, but I have a high mileage Lib.

I don't think that's too bad overall. Then engine runs strong, don't have any leaks or smokey exhaust...if you are looking for any kind of good gas mileage then this is not the vehicle you want. I quite like my Liberty actually, and it performs terrific in the winter with a good set of snow tires on it. I have a long commute to work and I'm happy I have the Liberty to drive through some pretty bad weather.
crsantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.