Locked tailgate won't open, help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Locked tailgate won't open, help!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Locked tailgate won't open, help!!!

Help!!! Last night the tailgate on my 2004 Cherokee KJ wouldn't open, took a look at it just now from the access hole. The lever inside feels like its moving ok, but when the key fob is used I can't hear the lock open. Anyone know what the problem may be? a faulty relay somewhere?

quidsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check fuses. Door latch stuck? Hmmm...
Here is one I found:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/t...-stuck-512437/
one more:
Tailgate Door Doesn't Open - JeepKJ Country
Another replacement required?
my back door does not open - JeepKJ Country
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Cheers, i'll check the fuses in the morning, I tried moving the white plastic thingy through the small access hatch, it moves a few millimeters but tailgate wont open.
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Checked fuses- all ok. Is there anyway of checked if voltage is going to the lock?
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Voltage ohm meter set at 12 v with pin point leads, you would have to use the fob and see if any volts are getting to the wires that attaches to the lock, while the fob is depressed.
Have you got the gate opened/released yet?
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

you should be able to manually open that door through the access hole. Once thats done rip off the cover so you can have acess to inside the gate. Pull the three bolts that hold on the lock/unlock mech. Disconnect from elec source. use a multimeter to see if your getting any voltage to it. If so pull out your wallet cause the part is around 300 bucks. gate lock mechanism. google the part number you see on the side of it for other sources than your dealer. Good luck
teamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyTC View Post
Voltage ohm meter set at 12 v with pin point leads, you would have to use the fob and see if any volts are getting to the wires that attaches to the lock, while the fob is depressed.
Have you got the gate opened/released yet?
Gate still shut, any idears what wires to check for voltage, i've got a small loom, 7 or 8 cables.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
you should be able to manually open that door through the access hole. Once thats done rip off the cover so you can have acess to inside the gate. Pull the three bolts that hold on the lock/unlock mech. Disconnect from elec source. use a multimeter to see if your getting any voltage to it. If so pull out your wallet cause the part is around 300 bucks. gate lock mechanism. google the part number you see on the side of it for other sources than your dealer. Good luck
I'll take another look thanks, I thought the mechanism was fixed from the catch side of the door, and not from the inside.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
quidsin
2004 KJ Liberty 

Right, i've just managed to unplug the connector to the latch assembly, the voltage is working ok to it when the fob is pressed to lock/ unlock. Looks like toe lock motor is faulty. Now i'm challenged with a locked tailgate and trying to get the latch off. Took a look at the service manual and it looks like the latch assembly is screwed from the outside. Any ideas???

Last edited by quidsin; 04-18-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

you should see a metal door latch rod that is basically what the mechanism moves to lock/unlock. Move this by hand to open your door. Then continue with the steps. Post your part number for others .
teamfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.