Lifting a Liberty and the consequences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lifting a Liberty and the consequences

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
chaser

Lifting a Liberty and the consequences

Has the issue of machining off the inner joint face of the Liberty CV axle assembly been discussed here in previous threads? I have found a few CV axle threads, but not what I needed. This is for Libertys getting lifted over three inches (some say 2.5 is the limit.)

I would have this done locally if it actually helps CV failure. I would like to do that before jumping into replacing other parts like the A-arms etc.

I have an 03 Liberty I use for storm chasing, mud roads are the main concern and some rocky roads. The Libby is currently lifted 3 inches with the Rough Country suspension kit and another 1.75 inches with tire and rim. As for the Rough Country, I must say it's not quite the solution I expected. I get a loud banging noise when I go over rocks and experience a couple inch drop. The front end is the worst. The back end bangs also and I've replaced both the shock and springs. For the fix I intend to start with the front replacing the struts with the Rancho 17505. Rough Country uses a spring spacer, but I have to wonder if compressing the front strut spring is a very good approach not to mention the "bounce" going down the highway. Do other lift kits have issues, or is there one solution that works better than the rest?

chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

some other lifts do also but thats because they use a spacer. Buy a pair of OME 927 front coils and install them and you will be much happier! 927 is the OME HD front coils and it should give you about 2.5" of lift and if you would like more you can do a clevis lift, by adding three 2" electrical conduit nuts on the bottom of the strut and that will put you around 3" and you shouldnt have any problems with it, thats what I am running now and I have zero problems, you will like the ride much better and the handling will also improve, you may want to replace the rear coils as well with some OME.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.