Lifting a Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lifting a Liberty

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
froosa

Lifting a Liberty

Hello
I am considering putting a lift kit on my 2006 Jeep Liberty, I wanted to raise it about 2" or 3". I am living in Germany I call home Texas. I will be doing some autobahn driving I am concerend about how a lift kit will effect my gas mileage and what effect if any a lift kit has on the handeling of it. I am wondering who the best kit for what I want. I am totally clueless about what I should do about tires and rims. I have the factory tires I was wanting to change them even if I didn't install the lift kit. I will need tires that I can use on the autobahn I usaully keep my speed under 80 mph.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

froosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
CRD4Liberty

The lift/tires will lose you about 2 off your regular mileage. Old Man Emu combo lift is the lift I would get, the Frankenlift is great handling and the best off road to date. wwww.boulderbars.com. Might be cheaper to buy as much as you can locally and get the lighter extras from them to finish it.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
JMMKJ
2006 KJ Liberty 

I am in the same boat - been doing my homework and I get a lot of good feedback on the Frankinlift and the Rustys lifts. It looks to me that the Frankinlift is the most complete package and it is pre-assembled which is appealing to me - I have pretty much decided that it will be the Frankinlift for my 06 Sport.

The All J Products page has a pretty good write up on things to consider when lifting a KJ you may want to check out:

http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift_faq.htm

Good luck!
06 Sport - ARB Ft, Skids, Hitch, Soft8s, Rock Lizard Rear, Thule Roof Rack, Frankenlift II, Al's Uppers, Winch, CB, 245 MT/Rs, Hella 500s
JMMKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Parky

When I put my lift on my Liberty, I noticed better handling when I got new wheels with less back spacing. I pushed the wheels out and inch and a quarter.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
jelohead
2005 KJ Liberty 

just a silly observation....dont take this the wrong way, but a lifted jeep on the autoban seems like a conflict of interest! LOL but seriously, if you lift your KJ, youre gonna want to put 31" tires on, make sure you get your computer flashed to recognise the new size, and i agree, you'll likely loose about 2 mpg between the lift and the bigger tires. i have the rusty's/OME kit with the long rears from All J's. i commute every day with MT/Rs, and i love the ride quality, although, i dont have the same confidence in the rain that i did with the Revos. good luck with your project! bob

87 YJ my trail beater 31" MTs
05 KJ my daily driver lifted with MT/Rs
jelohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Vadum

Not skyjacker

I put a 2.5 inch skyjacker on my wifes Liberty and I hate it. It rides terrible. She is running Goodyear MT/R 245 R16's and they are wearing extremely quickly because of the lift.
Vadum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Pablo
1967 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by froosa
Hello
I am living in Germany I call home Texas. I will be doing some autobahn driving I am concerend about how a lift kit will effect my gas mileage and what effect if any a lift kit has on the handeling of it.
Thanks
I would avoid the lift. It will ride better, as the shocks and springs are much better. it will handle much much worse. I can tell you it will not take corners like it did prelifted. You can still do 80 on the straightaways if you give yourself plenty of room, but a KJ will not corner very well lifted.

If you do lift, go with an OME spring lift that is 1.5 inches only and get wider 245/75/16 tires to help stability. Different rims, as recommended above will also help. Consider the Heavy duty springs, as you want less brake dive and sway at high speeds. They heavy duties will ride stiffer the mediums, however. The KJ will also get bump steer if you lift it: the angle of attack on the steering rods will increase, making bumps in the road go through your steering wheel. The more lift, the more bump steer. You will need to keep both hands on the wheel firmly.

You may want to replace the brake lines with steel ones and make sure the brakes are in the best shape. The stiffer lines will help keep mushy pedal at bay. The brakes will still stop well, but distance will increase. Maybe slotted rotors are needed for this usage? Usually they are a waste on a Jeep.

Obviously, a good street tire is going to be the only way to go for good high-speed performance. Revo AT's are pretty good all the way around, but don't have the best temperature rating for highspeed. I would not put any mud tire on it.

Last edited by Pablo; 08-19-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
froosa

Over ruled by a higher power!!!

Thanks to all of you for your input but I was overuled by a higher power as much as I would like to lift it my wife does not.
Thanks again
froosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.