• 1 Post By Gman4q2
  • 1 Post By Gman4q2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tigey
2003 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Lifting ~3"; Balancing price and quality

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. We have quite a lot of rocky nasty roads and trails (and steeeep; like 18% grade everywhere). I have three Libertys, but intend to lift one for going on these nasty roads.

I would like to lift about 3 inches, more if there is budget for it, though. I have about a thousand dollars or so to put toward this. I have bought from JeepinByAl before, and the non-lift UCAs that I bought are of good quality and everything, but looking at those lift kits, I just can't afford them. I am sure they are of terrific quality, but they are just too expensive for me.

Are there any kits (or piece togethers) that are of good quality that also won't break the bank? I am not looking for something that is all matching and looks good and will impress people. I want to keep from scraping the bottom of the vehicle; (much) later I intend to add skid plates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

Garage
I would think with $1000 US you could easily get an OME or Ironman Kit to suit your needs. No point getting a crappy spacer lift if you're going to be using the jeep on some actual rough terrain. I wouldn't trade my lift for the world. Just got back from a 1300km road trip and the Ride on road always amazes me...super tight but not too harsh or anything...just a very controlled ride. You could easily add a clevis spacer and isolator so in the back to achieve close to 3" but you'll need to get the lifted UCAs if you go that high.

'02 KJ; OME 927/948; Bilstein front; KYB rear; 1/4" spacer; Teraflex Bumpstops; Moabs w/ 265/70/16
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 PM
TwoBobsKJ
2006 XK Commander 

For a little over $1000 you can get a 3 inch lift with all the goodies including the JBA A-arms.

An OME spring lift kit and shocks with JBA upper A-arms (for a lifted Liberty) with a 1/4" top plate & 3/8" clevis spacer in the front, two extra upper isolators in the rear will give you over three inches of lift all around. What you're looking at on the JBA site are his custom lifts which all include his coilover spring/shock combo, JBA springs, etc. (His coilovers are GREAT but not needed to get the ride and lift you want.)

Add TerraFlex front bumpstops, 2 hockey pucks per side to be bolted to the lower spring perch (yes, actual hockey pucks. Maybe not terribly common in Hawaii but easy to order online) and you have a 3+ inch lift for your KJ to hit those trails on the Islands. If you want you can delay putting on the JBA arms if your budget needs you to stay at $1000.

Here's the OME kit on JBA's site.

Bob
tommudd likes this.

SOLD: Highly modded 2003 Renegade, Black
- Current Jeep 2006 Jeep Commander Hemi Limited

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Gman4q2
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
I also am on a budget but wanted the best lift I could get. I went the Amazon rout, got the OME 927 and 948 springs, Bilstein shocks front and ProComp rear (for a Dodge Dakota) for just under $620.00 including shipping. Bought the Y link extension from JBA ($75.00) and probably will wind up getting the UCA's from JBA sometime down the road.
TwoBobsKJ likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman4q2 View Post
I also am on a budget but wanted the best lift I could get. I went the Amazon rout, got the OME 927 and 948 springs, Bilstein shocks front and ProComp rear (for a Dodge Dakota) for just under $620.00 including shipping. Bought the Y link extension from JBA ($75.00) and probably will wind up getting the UCA's from JBA sometime down the road.
All good parts, except for the ProCrap shocks, you'll be replacing them in short order if they are like the rest of their lineup

Hard to be the 927/948 combo

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 04:41 AM
Gman4q2
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Yeah, I took a chance with the ProComp. They are the 9000 series, from everything I read they are copies of the Bilstein 5100 series. They were half the price of the Bilstein's so I couldn't resist, plus all the reviews were positive. I will see if they last and post updates.
TwoBobsKJ likes this.

Tags
lift advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.