Lifted Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lifted Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
bigeasy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lifted Liberty

Alright you 4wd experts I need some suggestions about my 2004 Liberty Renegade.

I recently took it to the shop to have my front end inspected due to an odd sound coming from the right. Came to find out that were the axle goes into the sleeve was worn out causing excessive play. Dealership replaced it under the 7/70,000 mile drive train warranty.

The mechanic says I should remove the 2 inch Rough Country lift I have on it because he thinks that might have caused my problem. He said with the spacers in the front its putting the front end into a bind. Plus if it happens again it won't be covered under the warranty.

My question is, will a 2inch lift put the front end into a bind and cause premature failure on axles and cv axles?

I have had the Jeep since new and have had the lift on it for about 2 years. I also need to replace my BFG AT's because they are load range D. I screwed up on that one. I'm thinking that my tires might be part of my problem since they are a tad bit stiff.

So if anyone out there has any good ideas I would appreciate it.
R/
bigeasy

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
lionseye
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm running E load tires right now, and have the same issues I had with stock tires. The angles of the CVs changed when you lifted it. Most of the KJs I know had to replace their CVs once lifted. I'm not sure if that's just because most of them are running larger lifts or if that applies to any lift at all.
lionseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

A mechanic - at a JEEP dealership - said that?????

Non-lifted Libertys have the intermediate shaft go bad too - and most of them are SAGGED by an inch or more. So a LIFT of 2 or so inches won't make any difference at all.

The reality is the lift isn't the problem - normal wear is all. You may end up having issues with Rough Country lift itself but that's a thread for another time. (Think OME springs...)

You can be thankful the dealership replaced the intermediate shaft under warranty. You'll end up replacing the CV's at some point down the road but again that will be due to normal wear.

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'm running WAY moe lift than what you have and no issues with CVs or the itermediate shaft except for normal wear and tear
something you deal with if lifted or not
But do get rid of that lift since with it, worn out springs etc it can't be doing the front end any good
I had over 120,000 on my first set of Cvs/ intermediate shaft and 100,000 of that was lifted miles

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.