Lifted, aligned, noisy front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lifted, aligned, noisy front end

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Lifted, aligned, noisy front end

Just lifted my liberty, 1.5" OME lift from JBA. I also installed JBA upper A arms. I got it aligned right after at town fair tire. They did a factory alignment and told me they couldn't get the front right tire at 0 degrees. Normal for a ****ty tire shop looking to make money. So now when I drive on any road, not big bumps, I hear a semi clinking noise on the front passenger side. not to loud or harsh sounding but it's there. I didn't hear this for the 4 miles I drove before the alignment. I know it could be the strut nut on top, the sway bar, or just a bad alignment. Any ideas? I torqued everything to specs and checked twice.

Here's a picture of the alignment print I got

image-487506943.jpg

I also installed teraflex bump stops and hockey puck back bump stops. Any ideas on what this rattling/ clunky sound is I would love to know

-OME HD springs all around-OME struts/shocks-3/8'' clevis lift w/ 1/4 JBA top plate & two extra Iso's in back-4" of lift-JBA 4.5 UCA-31" Duratracs-16x7 Cragar Soft 8's-Flowmaster Super 44-All J's Boulder bars -JBA trans skid - Skidrow front skid-
Destrobot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well not sure on the noise. It is most likely something left loose. Another issue you may have is the caster. The difference is .3 degrees. If I remember right if caster is .3 degrees or more different it will pull to the most positive side. (Someone correct me if I am wrong) You may not notice it since it is so small but if I was doing that alignment if I couldn't get it within spec I would try to at least get rid of the difference.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Cars pull to the most camber, or least caster. Some vehicles will exhibit camber pull with anything more then a 1/4 degree difference on camber, and a half degree difference on caster. The camber is on the line on the left side for factory spec tolerance, the right side is barely beyond. If you put some conduit spacers on the front, I imagine the camber may drop some and be in spec more . Caster is lower then I like to see on a 4wd with power steering. The 0.3 degree difference isnt a big deal, I would be happy with that if that got the camber close to equal. Someone with experience on the lift kits and aligning afterwards can tell you more on how close things should be. As for clanking noises, double check everything, to make sure its tight. Double check the lower control arm bolts, as they were loosened to adjust camber/caster.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrobot View Post
Just lifted my liberty, 1.5" OME lift from JBA. I also installed JBA upper A arms. I got it aligned right after at town fair tire. They did a factory alignment and told me they couldn't get the front right tire at 0 degrees. Normal for a ****ty tire shop looking to make money. So now when I drive on any road, not big bumps, I hear a semi clinking noise on the front passenger side. not to loud or harsh sounding but it's there. I didn't hear this for the 4 miles I drove before the alignment. I know it could be the strut nut on top, the sway bar, or just a bad alignment. Any ideas? I torqued everything to specs and checked twice.

Here's a picture of the alignment print I got

Attachment 392361

I also installed teraflex bump stops and hockey puck back bump stops. Any ideas on what this rattling/ clunky sound is I would love to know
Go back and have them center the camber and get caster in or around 2-2.5 degrees with no more then 0.5 degrees cross caster and you will be good for that.You will need another alignment in about 6 months anyways due to settling,and again at least once a year which is always a good idea anyways on any vehicle.

As far as the "noisy" front end check those swaybar end links,they need to be upper tight or they make noise.Also not fully tightening the upper coilover assmbly nut is also another major noise for fresh lifted KJ's.
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Go back and have them center the camber and get caster in or around 2-2.5 degrees with no more then 0.5 degrees cross caster and you will be good for that.You will need another alignment in about 6 months anyways due to settling,and again at least once a year which is always a good idea anyways on any vehicle.

As far as the "noisy" front end check those swaybar end links,they need to be upper tight or they make noise.Also not fully tightening the upper coilover assmbly nut is also another major noise for fresh lifted KJ's.
Ahh alright gonna have another alignment. Im guessing I'm going to have to pull the whole assembly out again to tighten that what ever makes the sound leave is gonna have to happen
-OME HD springs all around-OME struts/shocks-3/8'' clevis lift w/ 1/4 JBA top plate & two extra Iso's in back-4" of lift-JBA 4.5 UCA-31" Duratracs-16x7 Cragar Soft 8's-Flowmaster Super 44-All J's Boulder bars -JBA trans skid - Skidrow front skid-
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Okay so I re torqued everything except strut top nut. I replaced the sway bar links with moog links. I'm still hearing a tiny bit of play in the front passenger side. What's the best way to get the strut out, unbolt the clevis or take out clevis fork? It's kinda a PITA to get the strut in the clevis, so I'm looking for ways around that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.