Lift Question of the Day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lift Question of the Day

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Lift Question of the Day

Hey there,

I am finally getting ready to purchase the Duratracs (245/75/16). I have the OME 1.5" lift, which includes the light front (OME2925/NS130) and medium rear (OME2947/N132). The lift has been on for about eight months and I have 120,000 miles on the KJ.

I need to take care of handling before I pick up the tires. Most posts recommend the TeraFlex bump stops, hockey pucks, and clevis plates. I currently do not have these. I want to purchase and install the right thing the first time. I'm not really sure what the hockey pucks are or which clevis plate is correct. Is this what you guys are referring to:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/terafle...f-1301200.html

If not, please let me know any details that you're willing to provide.

If this is correct, will I need to look at longer shocks and possible re-gearing with the increased tire size?

Thanks again for your help!

jeremysaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
BIG_J
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have the same tires, with out a lift, and yes they rub. As for regearing, you won't really need to, but you will need to have the computer reprogramed to correct the Speedo. It won't be off by much, but rather be safe than sorry. Cost me $30 at the dealership, but I had a hook up there as I sell them parts all day long.
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Teraflex bumpstops are just that bumpstops made for the front of the KJ check jeepinbyal he has them
Hockey pucks are hockey pucks should have them at any place that sells sports equipment
Clevis lift is simply having the bottom part of the front shock sitting 3/8 of an inch higher in the clevis You do not have clevis plates
You can have a 1/4 inch top plate that gives more lift 1/4 inch = 1/2 inch of lift
Can't beleive any one buys the 925s since they are rated same as stock but now that you have them. Lift will not be as much as you would get with 927s in front
Did you install longer shocks in the rear when you installed new springs, if not you should haveWHOOPS I see taht you did install new shocks but those are the stock length, 132Ls are the correct ones when you lift
245-75s are right on the line of if you regear or not, also depends on what wheels and tires you use since some combinations are much heavier than others
By the way whats the measurment from middle of wheel to bottom of the flare in front
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Hey there,
For the front, I'm at 20 1/8".
Regarding the 925s, I went off the advice of the tech's at ARB. I called them a few times to figure out the best set up and what you see above is what they recommended. Overall, I'm definitely not impressed with my OME ride. In fact, it sucks. Would the medium or HD lift be better, or are the OME shocks just low quality? My dash and other areas are always cracking and I'm bouncing all over the place on bumps (no stability). Definitely nothing like an emu.
Thanks again for your help! Hopefully, I'll be able to get things stable again soon.
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

So you are only about an inch over "new" stock height right now
Yes the 925s are same as stock 926s or better yet 927s would give a better ride better handeling
OME springs and shocks ride great
Should not be riding rough or making the dasy creak and crack
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks man,
I'll contact ARB tomorrow, as I definitely have a defective set. These have been very rough from the beginning. I rarely had any creaking or cracking on my original/old equipment, but as soon as these were added, I'm bouncing, cracking, and creaking all over the place.
I'll update this after I contact ARB.
Thanks again!
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

I contacted ARB and they have been great. They are sending out a different pair of rear shocks to see if that helps the ride. If so, then they'll send new front ones as well and address the compressed front spring issue. So far, I am very impressed with these guys. With any luck, my rig will be riding like it should by the end of the month. Woo hoo!

Have a good one!
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

That's good that your customer service experience has been supportive so far.

I followed Tom's suggestion and agree with what he says - the 927/948 combination would be much better for you, so if ARB will swap out the springs it's my opinion you'll be much happier. I don't have any extra hardware on my Liberty like a front bumper, heavy skid plates, etc. and I went 927/948. I have all of the Mopar skids (front diff, transmission, transfer case and fuel tank.) Used Bilstein shocks vs OME but per other users there's little ride difference between the two shock brands.

My ride is great with way better than stock dampening over bumps, railroad tracks, etc. You should have LESS creaking/cracking not more.

Since you have to tear everything apart to get the shocks installed you might as well put the heavier springs on...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks, Bob. I'll contact them about that. It sounds like the heavier springs are the best thing.

I did have a huge improvement the other day, when I had about 250 pounds in the very back of my Jeep. It was almost tolerable. Would this mean that my shocks are too firm, too short, or are the springs to firm? I would like to keep that feel, but not have 250 pound in the back. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Jeremy
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you had 250 lbs in the back and it felt better the no your shocks or springs are not too firm
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

And until you get new springs broke in some you may have creaks and cracks for a while since it takes time for everything to settle
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the update. These were all installed back in September/October, so I've put thousands of miles on them during the last 10 months. They rode like crap from the beginning, but felt good (back end only) for about 20 minutes when I had the weight back there the other day. Now that the weight is gone, it feels like my shocks are not working again as I have the creaks, cracks, and very hard bumps again.

It took 250 pounds of extra weight in the back to make those shocks finally work. What should I change to make my rig ride like it should, without the added weight?

Thanks again! I appreciate your help!

Jeremy
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysaal
Hey there,

I am finally getting ready to purchase the Duratracs (245/75/16). I have the OME 1.5" lift, which includes the light front (OME2925/NS130) and medium rear (OME2947/N132). The lift has been on for about eight months and I have 120,000 miles on the KJ.

I need to take care of handling before I pick up the tires. Most posts recommend the TeraFlex bump stops, hockey pucks, and clevis plates. I currently do not have these. I want to purchase and install the right thing the first time. I'm not really sure what the hockey pucks are or which clevis plate is correct. Is this what you guys are referring to:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/terafle...f-1301200.html

If not, please let me know any details that you're willing to provide.

If this is correct, will I need to look at longer shocks and possible re-gearing with the increased tire size?

Thanks again for your help!
New shocks from OME are a for sure. I have ome HD springs all around with OME long shocks and struts. Also have rear isolators and a 1/4 strut top plate. I had to trim a decent amount, and hammer in the pinch welds behind the front wheel wells. Im using 245/75/16 duratracs with more lift than you and I just stopped the rubbing issue with trimming. Either get HD springs and ome long shocks and struts or go with 245/70/16 duratracs or similar. The medium and light duty shocks are a bit pointless IMO.

Here's a picture of mine with that set up

image-1454339879.jpg
-OME HD springs all around-OME struts/shocks-3/8'' clevis lift w/ 1/4 JBA top plate & two extra Iso's in back-4" of lift-JBA 4.5 UCA-31" Duratracs-16x7 Cragar Soft 8's-Flowmaster Super 44-All J's Boulder bars -JBA trans skid - Skidrow front skid-
Destrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Your rig looks awesome! Is your ride comfortable with the HD springs and shocks? The softer ones that I ordered were supposed to be a very good ride, according to ARB, but they are very rough. I'm worried that going to HD shocks and springs would make it worse. Is my thinking wrong?

What size lift did you install on yours? I'm looking to go higher, since I have to re-do everything. I'll also be looking at the top plate and rear isolators.

Thanks!

Jeremy
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Don't get caught up in what people say their lift is
get actual measurements from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare.
I've seen ones saying they had 4 inches of lift when in fact they have maybe two.
Sit it up right and no matter the height as long as it rides good you'll be happy. You're worried about running 400 lb fronts , I'm running 500 lb

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.