Lift plans/questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Lift plans/questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Teal2doorXJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lift plans/questions

you liberty people dont post crap for build threads or lift info. im looking into getting a liberty because its one of the only jeeps i have yet to own. on all of my jeeps i go to the extreme and i have never had less than 6" of lift on my jeeps.

now im looking into getting a reliable daily driver/weekend warrior vehicle so i figured the liberty would be perfect. what is out there to achieve around 4" of lift? ive seen pics of 2 libertys on 35's, i may not go that far but i would like the option to go that big in the future

i would like to use about 2" spacers and the rest of the lift all springs...im gonna apply my previous jeep builds to the solid rear axle but this IFS stuff is all new to me and it makes me rage.

help me out and discuss

Teal2doorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You can get a 4" and 6" lift from JBA---http://jeepinbyal.com/

Stay away from adding lift coils and spacers,never ends well.Plus with the front D30A your limited to 4.10's so anything past a 32" tire is pretty out of the picture unless you get the JBA steel diff conversion then your limited to 4.88's for the rear 8.25 which requires grinding teeth on the ring gear.

If you want the option to run 35" tires later on you will have to do a SFA swap,to do it right it's not cheap.I know I did it to my KJ.
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Their is plenty of info on how to build a KJ, just not a whole lot of manufactured parts compared to other jeeps due to the IFS. Our Jeeps can hold their own with IFS when the right parts are used. Lockers front and rear with the JBA steel Diff adds to the durability on the trails. Bigger then 32 is tuff to do without doing an SFA. Most people who own other jeeps are really surprised after ridding in a KJ off road
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Teal2doorXJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm a jeep guy and you all know I'm not going to listen lol...at least 33's are going on it no matter what it takes, breaks or needs to be modded to fit them. And I would rather put together a lift combo instead of spending thousands on an actual kit.

This is not me being cheap, because there's not much for lifting these things when someone sells a complete 4" kit they can jack the price sky high or you can spend about half of that and make your own system
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ View Post
Well I'm a jeep guy and you all know I'm not going to listen lol...at least 33's are going on it no matter what it takes, breaks or needs to be modded to fit them. And I would rather put together a lift combo instead of spending thousands on an actual kit.

This is not me being cheap, because there's not much for lifting these things when someone sells a complete 4" kit they can jack the price sky high or you can spend about half of that and make your own system
Well figure in $1500 for the front steel diff conversion and your going to need 6" of lift for 33" tires and no less then 4.56 gears unless you never plan on actually driving it or getting better then 7-8mpg's if your lucky.

As far as piecing a homebrew kit together the 4" and 6" lifts by JBA do not use your normal coilover assembly like what is currently on a KJ which will be the major limiting factor in doing a lift coil/spacer combo.The rear is another headache area that the 6" lift covers.The last guy that did a lift coil/spacer combo spent more time fixing then driving as the suspension self destructed every time he drove it and he was only at 5.5" of lift.
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Well figure in $1500 for the front steel diff conversion and your going to need 6" of lift for 33" tires and no less then 4.56 gears unless you never plan on actually driving it or getting better then 7-8mpg's if your lucky. As far as piecing a homebrew kit together the 4" and 6" lifts by JBA do not use your normal coilover assembly like what is currently on a KJ which will be the major limiting factor in doing a lift coil/spacer combo.The rear is another headache area that the 6" lift covers.The last guy that did a lift coil/spacer combo spent more time fixing then driving as the suspension self destructed every time he drove it and he was only at 5.5" of lift.
You don't need 6" of lift for 33s. I had 2.5" of lift on my old KJ with trimmed fenderwells front and back and extended short arms in the back and cleared 33s no problem.

Granted I removed almost all of my front end but whatever. I ran stock gearing and wheeled 1-2 times a month. Still got 17 mpg highway. It was a dog off the line and towing my utility trailer sucked but it is certainly doable.
image-1060646466.jpg

image-3221646064.jpg

NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Teal2doorXJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoMelloYello
You don't need 6" of lift for 33s. I had 2.5" of lift on my old KJ with trimmed fenderwells front and back and extended short arms in the back and cleared 33s no problem. Granted I removed almost all of my front end but whatever. I ran stock gearing and wheeled 1-2 times a month. Still got 17 mpg highway. It was a dog off the line and towing my utility trailer sucked but it is certainly doable.
Thank you for that! Pics I've seen have been no more than 4.5" lift with 33's to 35's, I'm planning on trimming quite a bit...what are you using for a lift? To start with I'm planning 2.5 springs and some sort of spacer, yes I know I'm going to break **** but that's what happens when you own a jeep, only one way to go is up! Until I go full coilovers or SFA in 5 years when it's paid off
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoMelloYello View Post
You don't need 6" of lift for 33s. I had 2.5" of lift on my old KJ with trimmed fenderwells front and back and extended short arms in the back and cleared 33s no problem.

Granted I removed almost all of my front end but whatever. I ran stock gearing and wheeled 1-2 times a month. Still got 17 mpg highway. It was a dog off the line and towing my utility trailer sucked but it is certainly doable.

Messed up the driveshaft angles in the back and no flex.I used to run 3.75" of lift just to clear 265/75R16's(31.9").Ran 4.10's and could get 22mpg's at 78mph and my KJ weighed 5500lbs(a lot of armor) before doing the SFA,it's like 6200lbs now with the SFA(5.13 gears) and stock was just over 4000lbs.

More lift is needed when you want to fully flex 35" tires.

You don't want to be cutting anything in the wheel wells as it's all structural parts of the unibody.
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

SO much bad information and info in this one post
( well all except for what TJKJ posted)

other than that no way to run 33s unless you run 6 inches of lift period. Then you'll have no power at all with stock gears or even 4.10s . Some claim to run 33s and 2.5 -3 inches of lift but from experience there isn't a way to do that unless you want a hacked up POS in the end.
Like TJKJ mentioned what you would have to cut is part of the overall structure of the body. Cut there and you have a lawn ornament in no time
So to do it right 6 inch lift from jeepinbyal, steel front diff with 4.88s from jeepinbyal, regear the rear diff ONLY then can you run 33s successfully and have it work right
When using OME or Ironman springs even with the JBA UCAs anything over 3.75 inches of lift and you'll have spring-UCA contact on every bump you go over . So the adjustable coil overs from JBA help with that. The one above pic above showing 33s ( if they are that ) yes they maybe on there but certainly no room to flex any. Also I ran 32s and 3.73s for just a few days and mileage was like 13-15 and no overdrive, couldn't even use it. Now with 32s and 4.10s highways is 21.5-22 all day long, runs cooler etc . Others have tried to cobble together a lift and run 33s and they always either tear up their KJ or give up.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Messed up the driveshaft angles in the back and no flex.I used to run 3.75" of lift just to clear 265/75R16's(31.9").Ran 4.10's and could get 22mpg's at 78mph and my KJ weighed 5500lbs(a lot of armor) before doing the SFA,it's like 6200lbs now with the SFA(5.13 gears) and stock was just over 4000lbs. More lift is needed when you want to fully flex 35" tires. You don't want to be cutting anything in the wheel wells as it's all structural parts of the unibody.
Cut and rewelded*. No loss of structural integrity. I had no drive shaft vibes because I was still low. And adjusted my pinion angle with control arms.

Also, been a fan of Gila monster for a long time. Such a nice looking jeep.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ
Thank you for that! Pics I've seen have been no more than 4.5" lift with 33's to 35's, I'm planning on trimming quite a bit...what are you using for a lift? To start with I'm planning 2.5 springs and some sort of spacer, yes I know I'm going to break **** but that's what happens when you own a jeep, only one way to go is up! Until I go full coilovers or SFA in 5 years when it's paid off
I had 2.5" springs. I forget from where. I sold it 3 or 4 years ago. And custom rear control arms. I hacked up a lot of the back of the front wheel well and then rewelded it flat with reinforced 3/16 plate. And I removed the front bumper and fender flares for turning and flex.
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ View Post
Where are all of the pictures of ones running 33s-35s. I know of only a couple and they have done it the right way . One red CRD has had 35s on but only for show and then he has the JBA coilover lift/ JBA front steel diff with 4.88s etc
Using coils and spacers is just asking for issues. I've got over 30 KJs lifts thats been done here, tried a lot of different things with my KJ and know whats going to work and what will be junk when done .
My black one with little over 4 inches of lift / 32s / 4.10s / no hacking etc against a 3.5 inch with 245-75-16s, had just finished the silver ones lift
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I had 2.5" springs. I forget from where. I sold it 3 or 4 years ago. And custom rear control arms. I hacked up a lot of the back of the front wheel well and then rewelded it flat with reinforced 3/16 plate. And I removed the front bumper and fender flares for turning and flex.
Problem is you can't weld it as strong as from the factory, that is only covering holes, not getting the structural strength back into the body
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
Problem is you can't weld it as strong as from the factory, that is only covering holes, not getting the structural strength back into the body
Have you seen some of the welds from the factory? I promise it was just as strong if not stronger than factory
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Have you seen some of the welds from the factory? I promise it was just as strong if not stronger than factory
Yes I have, and also been through the plant and watched every single weld etc that is made during the build process . Cutting out and rewelding some metal just is not the same Sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.